MAN UP is a minority male mentoring and leadership development program designed to promote the personal and social development and academic improvement of students at the NOVA-Woodbridge Campus. The program was developed to increase retention, graduation rates and the academic performance of minority males, while providing the skills and motivation to reach these goals. MAN UP activities and events are open to all academically eligible students, faculty and staff, without regard to race, gender, national origin or other characteristics.
The mission of MAN UP is to promote and create access to supportive relationships that help minority males overcome barriers to college graduation.
Students in the MAN UP Program will be academically, socially and personally prepared to be successful, responsible students thereby empowered to graduate and become productive and contributing members of society.
Why Should You Join MAN UP?
MAN UP offers a great opportunity for you to interact with other students and mentors in an atmosphere of accountability, acceptance and encouragement. Our goal is to help you reach your personal, educational and career goals through proper guidance and unconditional support. When you join MAN UP, you make a decision to be responsible, successful and committed to growth. If you’re interested in joining Man Up, please take a minute to fill out the interest form.
Program Benefits and Services
MAN UP students are assigned a mentor and benefit from:
- Academic skill building and advising
- Monthly success coaching
- Referrals for tutorial services, counseling and peer counseling
- Access to networking and mentoring opportunities
- Career exploration and planning
- Exposure to cultural events and lectures
- Character building workshops on self-esteem, communication and other topics
- Social and athletic events and activities
- Service learning opportunities
MAN UP is open to any minority male enrolled at NOVA-Woodbridge who is committed to the program's vision and mission. As a student participant you must:
- Complete an application process
- Follow all rules and guidelines as outlined by the program and student handbook
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude
- Make a one-year commitment to the program
- Meet at least one hour per month with your mentor and communicate regularly
- Be present and on time for any scheduled meetings/activities/workshops
- Attend monthly service learning projects and meetings for the program
If you are interested in the MAN UP program, contact a program leader for additional information: