PLUS Loan Application
We are pleased to announce that NOVA will participate in the Federal Family Education Stafford and PLUS loan programs. We are delighted that our partners in these programs offer superb benefits. Please read the following information to determine the steps you need to take to complete your Parent PLUS loan application.
Lender Selection Statement
Northern Virginia Community College has selected lenders that we are confident provide a high level of service an loan benefits to our student borrowers. Our selection was based on the following considerations: borrower benefits including zero origination and default (guarantee) fees, repayment incentives which reduce the overall loan balance, responsive customer service, and easy to use electronic processes from application to disbursement of funds. Students may choose any lender that participates in the Federal Stafford Loan program and we will accommodate the borrower's choice.
We are confident that our selection of lenders are the highest quality and reputation and offer outstanding service and loan benefits to our students.
If you wish to select a lender is that does not appear on our selection list, please visit the campus financial aid office. You will receive assistance in completing the application procedures which includes completing a loan promissory note and electronic loan entrance interview.
Parent PLUS Loan
Federal Parent PLUS Loans are available to parents with a good credit history to help pay for the education of a dependent, undergraduate student who is enrolled at least half-time. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before a parent applies for a PLUS loan.
Parents may borrow up to the total cost of education, as determined by the school, less any student aid received. The interest rate for PLUS loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2006, is fixed at 8.5%.
Parent PLUS Loan Application Instructions
Federal Parent PLUSLoans are available to parents with a good credit history to help pay for the education of a dependent, undergraduate student who is enrolled at least half-time (6 semester credits) in an eligible major. Parents may borrow up to the total cost of education, as determined by the school, less any student aid received. The interest rate for Parent PLUS loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2006 is fixed at 8.5%.
- Click on the Login button and enter your User ID and password to log in to OpenNet. If you have not established an OpenNet User ID and password, click on the Register button.
- Select PLUS on the Start A Loan tab to start your PLUS loan application.
- Confirm and/or correct your demographic information, loan period, and lender from NOVA's preferred lender list. Should you desire a different lender, your loan will be completed by paper, a significantly slower and more time consuming process. Click Next to proceed.
- Review the application instructions, and follow the prompts to complete the application.
- Once the application is complete, you will be taken to the Electronic Signature Options page, which gives you the options to sign your application/promissory note electronically. Review the screen information and choose Yes if you want to sign electronically. Click Next to continue.
- Follow the prompts and instructional text to sign and print. If using the e-signature process, be sure to print a copy of the MPN for your records.
NOVA's College Financial Aid Office will be notified when you have completed the loan application and your credit has been approved. Please allow time for this to take place. Then, log on to NOVA's Student Information System, NovaConnect, and navigate to Self Service > Student Center > View Financial Aid. Click on the appropriate term to see your 'Anticipated Financial Aid. ' Anticipated Financial Aid that covers your charges in full will hold your classes.