Site Search:

A browser that supports JavaScript is required to submit the NOVA site search form and to display search results.

Audience Navigation:

Topic Navigation:

Breadcrumb Navigation:

Home > Future Students > Paying for College > Financial Aid > Education Tax Credit > What You Need To Do

What You Need To Do

  1. Make sure that the College Admissions and Records office has an accurate Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
  2. Make sure that the College has a current address for you and any individual who can claim you as a dependent on the federal tax return.
  3. For each tax year, keep copies of documents related to payment of qualified tuition and fees, such as canceled checks or credit card statements, financial aid awards, scholarships received and employer-paid tuition benefits.
  4. Obtain relevant IRS forms and documents, such as IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education and IRS Publication 4, Student's Guide to Federal Income Tax. Telephone: 1.800.829.3676 for forms and 1.800.829.1040 for information. (Adobe Acrobat needed to read the forms)
  5. Visit the IRS Website for more information.