We strongly encourage students to obtain health insurance to cover medical care before coming to study in the U.S. However, at present, health insurance is not required to study at NOVA. The College does not offer a health insurance plan for international students. Due to the high cost of health care in the United States, it is strongly recommended that you obtain health insurance for the duration of your stay in the United States.
Health insurance is important when studying in the U.S. for a variety of reasons including:
- Receiving adequate and quality health care in an emergency situation
- Having access to doctors and other health care providers to ensure optimal health throughout the year
- Reducing the chances of having to manage the high costs of health care, treatment, doctor visits, and prescription medication
- Reducing the burden of financial hardship in case of emergency treatment
There are several health insurance companies and each has numerous plans. The cost of insurance will vary depending on your medical history and the type of coverage requested.
In choosing a health insurance plan that fits your needs you should consider the following:
- Affordability -- calculate the monthly rate and make sure you can keep up with payments
- Flexibility -- do you have an option to upgrade, cancel, or change your policy or are you under a contractual agreement?
- Medical examinations -- how often do you need to undergo these, and what are the guidelines of getting the first examination for verification of your health?
- Travel assistance services -- does the insurance company extend these to its foreign student health insurance recipients?
- Maternity benefits -- are these included if you happen to need them at any time during your stay?
- Low deductibles -- most insurance policies require you to pay part of your health expenses yourself (your part is called the deductible) before the company pays anything. What are the different deductible options available, and what is the most realistic match for your health coverage needs?
- Eligibility criteria -- what specific items is the insurance company looking for (medical records, visa documentation, income verification)?