What We Do
First Year Advising provides a comprehensive guiding experience to students who are recent high school graduates, have never been to college before and are enrolled in an academic program. We strive to retain our students by building connections with advisors and faculty, and teaching students how to plan and evaluate their academic performance.
Manassas’s First Year Admission provides a variety of services to its area's high schools and the surrounding community.
Services offered include:
- organizing various campus events targeting prospective high school students and community organizations
- arranging group tours and visits to campus
- attending local college fairs and small group meetings
- giving presentations about NOVA and college preparation
- proctoring placement testing at local high schools and community organizations
- providing informational materials to schools in the area and community groups
- recruit students for the annual Summer Bridge Program at the Alexandria Campus
Visit the First Year Admission site to learn more about the resources offered to new students.
Placement into English and Mathematics Courses for Spring 2021
Because NOVA is operating remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person placement testing has been suspended for Spring 2021 registration. Students who have graduated from high school within the past six (6) years can submit their high school transcript and - if available - SAT or ACT scores to NOVA’s College Records Office (CRO) or to their academic advisor for review and placement guidance. Unofficial copies of transcripts and test scores are acceptable for this time period, as well. For other students, the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) practice test and advising questionnaires may be used for placement guidance. For more information on NOVA’s revised placement policies and resources, visit NOVA's COVID-19 website.
All incoming first-year students are required to complete the English and math placement tests before they are able to attend Student Orientation and register for classes. For more information on placement testing, use the links below:
Once you have completed your placement testing, you are ready to sign-up for a Student Orientation session. Attending a Student Orientation is required for all GPS for Success students. GPS staff and student leaders facilitate orientations for incoming students and their families. Sessions are offered throughout the year. For more information, use the link below:
First-Year Advisors @ Manassas
All incoming first year students will be assigned an advisor who will:
- help you identify and refine your academic goals;
- help you choose the appropriate program and courses for that program;
- help you connect with the appropriate resources;
- and assign you to a faculty advisor who will help you prepare for your second year and transition to a four-year university.
Dr. Tanneh Kamara
Coordinator, Office of Student Success
- Battlefield High School
- Home School
- Out of Territory USA Schools
- Private High Schools
- Westfield High School
- High Schools Not Listed
- Brentsville District High School
- Manassas Park High School
- Mountain View High School
- Osbourn High School
- Osbourn Park High School
- Stonewall Jackson High School
- Centreville High School
- Chantilly High School
- GED Recipients
- International High Schools
- Patriot High School