File Your Taxes For Free!
Well, it's that time of year again...TAX FILING TIME!
Since the beginning of February, the Single Stop Office, which is part of the Financial Stability Program, has hosted several VITA tax preparation sessions on each of the NOVA campuses. With the assistance of IRS representatives and volunteers, these sessions have allowed students, faculty, and staff the opportunity to file their taxes free of charge!
Because of recent events, as we adhere to the College's plan in the effort to ensure the safety of all, we are now canceling all tax sessions effective immediately until April 4th, and further notice from the College. Updates of any possible dates after that time will be made known accordingly.
It is known that the Treasury Department and the White House are planning to extend the tax-filing deadline for certain individuals and businesses as part of an effort to mitigate the effects of the spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19. As the IRS has not yet released guidance on the matter, the deadline is April 15, 2020.
Please review the following alternate options to file your tax:
- ECDC Enterprise Development Group is partnered with our office. Nebiyi Teferra is the point of contact. The office is located at 901 S. Highland St, Arlington, VA 22204 and you can reach him at call/text 703.389.4858. If you wish to file your tax in-person with the help from a professional, please schedule an appointment with Nebiyi Teferra.
- If you made less than $56,000 last year, visit other free VITA locations around Northern Virginia. Call the locations before you make a visit for operation hours and guidelines.
- You can file your taxes on your own:
- IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax: Free to individuals with an adjusted gross income of $36,000 or less ($69,000 for active military, or anyone who qualifies for the Earned Income Tax Credit). Please feel free to ask Nebiyi Teferra via NTeferra@ecdcus.org if you have any questions at any point.
- IRS Free File Program for other tax returns: If your 2019 adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less, you may find one or more Free File Online options for you.
- My Free Taxes by H&R Block: MyFreeTaxes is completely free for all incomes unless you need schedule C (income from a side hustle); Schedule D (capital gains); or Schedule E (investment income)
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.