Conflict of Interest in Employment
VCCS Section 3
3.3.3 Conflict of Interest in Employment (SG; SB)
Purpose: It is the purpose of this policy to protect college personnel, Local Board members and State Board members from any appearance of impropriety that could undermine the integrity of the VCCS employment process.
- Definition: For purposes of this section, immediate family shall be defined as any son, daughter, or spouse whether living in the employee’s household or not. Son and daughter shall include those related by blood, marriage, or adoption. Also included in the definition are all dependents residing in the employee’s or board member’s household and anyone for whom the employee or board member is
- General Provisions
College Personnel. An employee of the college shall not exercise any control over the employment or the employment activities of a member of the employee’s immediate family and shall not be in a position to influence those activities.
example:a spouse of the president, or a member of the president’s immediate family, shall not be employed by the college. The spouse of a vice president, or a member of the vice president’s immediate family, shall not be employed in the area of responsibility of a vice president.
- Local Board Members. No member of a local college board shall apply for a full or part-time position in the VCCS while serving as a member of a local college board. Each community college is prohibited from employing for remuneration, in any capacity whatsoever, either on a full-time or part-time basis, a member of the college’s board, or the Board member’s immediate family.
- State Board Members. No member of the State Board shall apply for a full or part-time position in the VCCS while serving as a member of the State Board. The community colleges and the System Office are prohibited from employing for remuneration in any capacity whatsoever, either on a full-time or part-time basis, a member of the State Board, or the Board member’s immediate family.
- New State Board members who have a family member covered by the definition of immediate family in a., above, who is employed or has accepted employment with the Virginia Community College System prior to the effective date of the board member’s term of service shall be asked to abstain from all votes regarding conditions of employment or any issue which may raise a perception of conflict of interest as determined by the Board Chair.
- Student Employment. An exception to this policy is granted in circumstances wherein a family member of an employee or board member is enrolled in a course of study, their employment is related to their status as a student, the employment concludes at the end of their course of study, and the student does not both live in the employee’s household and receive more than half of their financial support from the employee.