At NOVA, we believe in student success. Academic advising is an important contributor to this goal At NOVA, the responsibility for advising students is shared by all NOVA personnel.
Good advising is more than just helping students choose classes. It also assists students with transitioning or returning to college, setting academic and career goals, and developing strategies to meet those goals.
At its best, advising is a developmental process in which students learn to make independent and informed decisions and to take responsibility for their own success.
Resources for advisors can be found on the CANVAS Academic Advising site.
- Virtual Advising (live chat)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email advising questions)
- Program Placement Form
- Course Substitution Form
- Online Graduation Process and Application
- Academic Disciplines
- Available Training
- Advising Sheets
If you want to help student make good choices, realize their educational goals and academic advising matters to you, we invite you to attend advising training workshops that will prepare you to assist our students.
The training workshops are sequenced in levels, beginning with NOVA Advising Basic Courses, 100 Level. The first four courses are the prerequisites for the next level of NOVA Advising Intermediate Courses, 200 Level. Certificates of Training Completion will be awarded for each level you complete.
In-person training sessions are scheduled in Pender 4, Room 150. Each Course is offered twice: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. A registration request will be sent ten days prior to each workshop.
Scheduled Fall 2019 Workshops
- Course 101: “An Introduction to Advising at NOVA” - Friday, October 11th
- Course 102: “How well do you know NOVA?” - Friday, October 25th
- Course 103: “Relating to our Students” – Friday, November 1st
- Course 104: “Strategies and Techniques to Use When Advising Students” - November 8th
Complete the first four 100 level courses and then sign up for the 200 Intermediate Level.
- Course 201: “What Advisors Need to Know to Advise Effectively” – TBA
- Course 202: “Knowing and Using Skills to Effectively Connect With Students” - TBA
Academic Services provide a listing of advising sheets that shows all the courses required for graduation in a particular program according to the NOVA Catalog. Adobe Acrobat is required to view these documents.
How to Access the Advising Sheets
Beginning with the 2012-2013 Catalog, the advising sheets are now part of the catalog. Follow the instructions below to access the advising sheets.
- Select your year above.
- You will see Programs of Study. Select your program.
- Click on Advising Sheets.
- You can now print the Advising Sheet by pressing Ctrl P or using the Print command from your web browser.