Leadership Program 2012-2013
Description of Program
NOVA's Leadership Program is a six-month leadership development experience designed to help prepare current NOVA employees for future leadership opportunities.
Participation in the Leadership Program is by application and is limited to 15 participants. Selection will be based on an evaluation of the applicant's leadership potential and readiness to engage in the leadership learning experience, and the quality of the application.
Applications will be accepted from September 26 through October 5.
All full-time faculty, administrators and senior management staff, who aspire to more significant leadership positions at NOVA, may apply.
Participants will be selected by the Administrative Council and will be announced by the end of October.
To develop individual leadership capacity for the benefit of self and the College.
- Create an understanding of strategic leadership issues and opportunities facing NOVA and community colleges in general during the next several years.
- Empower program participants to develop their careers and to prepare them to assume leadership roles at the College.
- Encourage participants to work smart within the institution and within the VCCS.
Faculty leaders and mid-level managers who desire to advance their careers and are interested in preparing to serve in NOVA leadership positions as opportunities become available.
Calendar and Agenda
Participants are required to attend all sessions.
Time: Noon - 4:00 p.m.
Anticipated Location: Ernst Center, AN Campus
- November 9 - Developing a Strategic Leadership Perspective
- December 7 - Understanding the Community College from the National, State and Local Level
- January 18 - Understanding the Budget Process
- February 22 - Working Smart within the VCCS and NOVA
- March 29 - Understanding Institutional Effectiveness
- April 19 - Pulling it all Together
Dr. James Perkins, former President of Blue Ridge Community College, will serve as program facilitator. Dr. Perkins' presentations will be supplemented by invited guests from the VCCS with particular expertise in topic subject matter. In addition, Dr. Perkins will be available to program participants to discuss career plans and/or leadership issues as they may develop during the course of the year.
Please print your application, obtain the required signatures and submit your application to the Office of the President by the close of business on Friday, October 5, 2012.