Congratulations on achieving this milestone! Commencement will be held on May 18, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. at the George Mason University Patriot Center. Everyone at NOVA wants your Commencement ceremony to be a pleasant, meaningful experience. There is no fee for graduation, but each graduate is required to purchase a cap and gown for the ceremony. Caps and gowns can be purchased at any NOVA campus bookstore. Below you will find some helpful information to make your Commencement a success.
- Graduates should arrive no later than 1:00 p.m. Traffic near George Mason will be congested; please allow extra travel time, so you don't miss this important event. Attendants will guide you to free parking. Handicap and special assistance parking is available in Lot A for you and your guests.
- Faculty marshals will help graduates line up for the academic procession in Lot A. In case of rain, graduates should report to the Patriot Center's lower level entrance where faculty marshals will assist you.
- To participate in Commencement, you must be dressed in the appropriate cap and gown. Plan to leave purses and other valuables with family or friends as there is no place to secure these items.
- Beverages, food (including gum) and smoking are not permitted in the academic procession or the Patriot Center. Graduates violating this policy will not be allowed to participate in Commencement exercises.
- Graduates who need special physical arrangements are asked to call 703.323.3753 as soon as possible.
- Doors to the Patriot Center will open at 1:00 p.m. and you may invite as many people as you want. Tickets are not required.
- Students with the following cumulative grade point averages will graduate with honors:
3.20 - 3.49: Cum Laude (With Honor)
3.50 - 3.79: Magna Cum Laude (With High Honor)
3.80 - 4.00: Summa Cum Laude (With Highest Honor)
- Please note per page 60 of the NOVA college catalog, Graduation Honors, Students attending NOVA for a minimum of 30 credit hours in degree programs are eligible for graduation honors. Those attending NOVA for a minimum of 50% of the credits hours in their certificate program are eligible for graduation honors.
The Dean's List and Presidential Scholars List is posted twice a year.
Questions? Please contact the dean of students on your home campus.