NOVA faculty and staff are invited to join NOVA's president Dr. Kress, administration and guests to kick off the new academic school year at College Convocation.
Event: Fall 2021 College Convocation
Time: Monday, August 16, 2021 from 9 a.m. – noon
Location: NOVA Alexandria Campus, Schlesinger Center and Online
NOVA Alexandria Campus
5000 Dawes Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22311-5097
Registration and Check-in Details
On-site check-in will begin at 8:15 a.m., coffee and refreshments will be available. Masks are optional for fully vaccinated attendees.
NOVA will close all offices during Convocation, 8 a.m. – noon, so that all members of our community can attend.
Lunch will be available after the Convocation program to all who register to attend in person or from their NOVA office. You must register by Wednesday, July 28, at 3 p.m. to receive a lunch at your selected attendance location. Please pre-register to attend either in-person or online.
Convocation Program Schedule
- Opening Welcome – Dr. Anne Kress
- Update on NOVA’s Inclusive Excellence DEI Strategic Plan & Introduction of Keynote – Dr. Nathan Carter
- Keynote – Dr. Tia Brown McNair – From Equity Talk to Equity Walk: Utilizing Data for Equity-Minded Sense-Making
- Student Perspectives on Equity – Dr. Frances Villagran-Glover
- SACSCOC visit update – Dr. Pam Hilbert
- NOVA’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) – Dean Jen Daniels
- President’s State of the College address – Dr. Anne Kress
- Closing Inclusive Excellence video
Keynote: From Equity Talk to Equity Walk: Utilizing Data for Equity-Minded Sense-Making
Speaker: Dr. Tia Brown McNair
How do we accelerate broad-scale innovation and institutional change to advance evidence-based educational strategies that prioritize the creation of equity-minded environments where students can thrive? How can educators ensure that students are fully prepared for life, work, and productive global citizenship? What changes need to be made in an institution's policies, practices, partnerships, and culture to make excellence inclusive for ALL students? This presentation will discuss the practical strategies outlined in From Equity Talk to Equity Walk for examining and establishing equity goals to promote student engagement and success, and to strengthen data-informed continuous improvement efforts.