Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:

College Catalog 2018-2019

Criminology and Criminal Justice
Associate of Science Degree
CIP Code: 43.0104


This program is designed to prepare students to transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a baccalaureate degree program in criminal justice, criminology, or related fields.

Transfer Information: 

Since four-year colleges can vary in their course and GPA requirements, please consult an advisor regarding specific requirements and course selection. The program is designed to transfer especially well to George Mason University.

Recommended Preparation: 

Satisfactory completion of the following high school units or equivalent: 4 units of English; 4 units of mathematics (algebra I-II, geometry and pre-calc); 1 unit of laboratory science; and 1 unit of social studies.

Two Years Credits
1st Semester
ADJ 100 Survey of Criminal Justice 3
ENG 111 College Composition I 3
HIS 112 History of World Civilization II 3
1MTH 154 Quantitative Reasoning or Higher 3
SDV 100 College Success Skills or SDV 101 1
Total   13
2nd Semester
ADJ 107 Survey of Criminology 3
CST 110 Intro. to Communication 3
2ENG 112 College Composition II or 3
  ENG  125  Intro. to Literature  
ITE 115 Intro. to Computer Applications and Concepts 3
PSY 200 Principles of Psychology 3
Total   15
3rd Semester
ADJ 211 Criminal Law, Evidence, and Procedures I 3
ADJ 234 Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism or 3
  ADJ  236  Principles of Criminal Investigation  
3BIO 101 General Biology I 4
1MTH 245 Statistics I or Higher 3
SOC 200 Principles of Sociology 3
Total   16
4th Semester
ART 100 Art Appreciation or 3
  CST  151  Film Appreciation I  
ADJ 105 Juvenile Justice System or 3
  ADJ  140  Introduction to Corrections  
ADJ 133 Ethics and the Criminal Justice Professional 3
3BIO 102 General Biology II 4
REL 100 Intro. to the Study of Religion or 3
  REL  231  Religions of the World I  
Total   16
Total credits for the Criminology and Criminal Justice A.S. =60

1 Check institution to which you plan to transfer to be sure the math courses you wish to substitute will transfer. Note that sometimes math courses transfer, but do not meet an institution’s general education requirements.

2 Students planning to transfer to GMU should take ENG 125. Students planning to attend most other institutions should take ENG 112. Check institution to which you plan to transfer.

3 Students may substitute CHM 101-102 Introductory Chemistry I-II or CHM 111-112 General Chemistry I-II if they also meet the mathematics prerequisites for these courses.