Breadcrumb Navigation:

Home > Campuses & Centers > Loudoun > Academic Divisions > Natural and Applied Science Division > Veterinary Technology Program > On-Campus Full-Time Program > Financial Aid/Tuition

Veterinary Program logo

Financial Aid/Tuition: Veterinary Technology Program

1. How much should I expect to pay in tuition and other costs for the Veterinary Technology program?
The total cost of the program will depend on whether you are paying in-state or out-of-state tuition. It will also depend on how many course credits you already earned before entering the program. For the most current tuition rate per credit hour information go to:

The total number of credits required for the program can also be found under Courses for either the on-campus or online program. Count the number of credits for any classes you have not yet taken and multiply the number of credits needed by the current tuition rate per credit hour.

Other expenses may include: a campus parking pass, expenses associated with campus commuting, course textbooks, lab supplies and equipment, required clothing for clinical labs, travel for field-trips, preparatory material for the national board exam and application fees for VTNE.

2. If I already have a bachelor's degree or higher, am I eligible to receive financial aid for an additional applied associate degree program, such as the Veterinary Technology A.A.S. program?
Although many schools restrict eligibility for the school's own financial aid programs to the first bachelor's degree, some schools will waive the restrictions when the student is an adult returning to school to earn a second degree in preparation for a career change. To find out if you are eligible, file out a FAFSA by the Federal AND College priority deadlines and then meet with a financial aid counselor at any NOVA Campus after you have received notice that your Student Aid Report (SAR) has been received. For example, you may still be eligible to receive federal direct student loans, but they only way to know whether you are eligible for student loans is to file a FAFSA.

3. If I am not a U.S. Citizen, am I eligible to receive financial aid?
Possibly! A question on the FAFSA asks whether or not you are a U.S. citizen. The answer choices are: (1) Yes; (2) No, but I am an eligible noncitizen; or (3) No, I am not a citizen or eligible noncitizen. Eligible noncitizens are required to provide their eight- or nine-digit Alien Registration Number. Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you are: (1) A U.S. permanent resident and you have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551); (2) A conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or (3) An other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Indefinite Parole," "Humanitarian Parole," or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant." If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa or a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations), you would not be eligible to receive federal and state financial aid. In other words, if you are neither a citizen nor an eligible noncitizen, you are not eligible for federal student aid or state aid in Virginia.

4. If I am not eligible to receive traditional forms of financial aid, where can I research additional scholarship information?
The NOVA Financial Aid Office provides information on their website about researching and applying for both NOVA scholarships* and other types of scholarships. More information about these valuable resources can be found at:

Please Note: In order to be considered for a NOVA scholarship, you must have a FAFSA on file with NOVA. See how to apply for FAFSA below.

5. If I am not eligible to receive traditional financial aid foms, are there other non-traditional financial aid forms I should consider?
For more information about student loan products through private bank lenders go to:

For more information about financial aid strategies for non-traditional students go to:

6. How do I apply for financial aid by submitting the FAFSA for NOVA?  What is the deadline for submitting my FAFSA so that I get the best consideration for financial aid?

The Four Steps to Filing Your FAFSA Are:

1) Apply for a PIN.

  • A PIN is your assigned electronic signature in the form of all numbers to be used on your FAFSA and other online financial aid documents.
  • Go to and follow the prompts.
  • If you are considered a “dependent student,” then one parent may also need to apply for an additional “parent” PIN as well. 

 2) Fill out your 2010-2011 FAFSA application using your 2009 tax forms.

  • FAFSA is Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  • Go to and follow the prompts.
  • Use your 2010 tax information to complete the 2011-2012 FAFSA application. 
  • If you are a dependent student, then you may be using both your own student taxes and your parent’s taxes to complete the FAFSA application.  If your parents are divorced, use the tax information of the primary parent with whom you live.
  • NOVA’s school code for the FAFSA is 003727.

3) Check your "To Do" list and your NOVA VCCS email account on MyNOVA (NOVAConnect) on an ongoing basis.

  • NOVA will receive your FAFSA about one week after you submit your online application.
  • You will be sent a notification possibly by mail, but definitely by VCCS email, that your Student Aid Report has been received or is ready. This is just the first step to determining your financial aid award—move on and check your “To Do” list to see if other documentation is being requested from you in order to determine your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and financial aid award.
  • To check your “To Do” list, log on to MyNOVA at
  • Click on Self Service>>Student Center>>and view your “To Do” list in the right hand column of your Student Center.
  • Click on “details” for more information regarding any additional documentation that you need to provide to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Bring copies of requested documentation to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible.
  • Once these documents have been received and verified, they are scanned into the system and linked to your Student Aid Report.
  • You will know that a financial aid award decision is impending when the items disappear from your “To Do” list on your Student Center.

4) Ensure that your social security number is on file with NOVA.

  • Your FAFSA application cannot be received by NOVA unless you are a student who has submitted an application to NOVA, who has put their Social Security number on the application, and who has selected an eligible associate’s or certificate program as their program of study.
  • If you did not put your social security number on your NOVA application, you will need to show your Social Security card to Student Services on any NOVA Campus.

Professional Letter of Judgment

Your financial circumstances may change from when you did your tax forms. For example, you may become unemployed while attending school, and the income reflected on your tax forms will no longer be applicable. In cases where your financial situation changes, write a “Letter of Professional Judgment” addressed to Financial Aid and submit the letter to the Financial Aid Office of your NOVA home campus. The Financial Aid Office for the Loudoun Campus is located in the LR Building, room 253.


To be considered for the best financial aid award, submit your FAFSA by both the Federal priority deadline AND NOVA’s priority deadline. Students who do not submit their FAFSA by the priority deadlines are not guaranteed to receive their financial aid award in time for the start of the semester. In this case, the student is required to pay for their costs up front and will then be reimbursed if and when the financial aid award comes in at a later date.

For the most up-to-date information about NOVA’s filing deadlines go to:

For the Federal FAFSA application, you should try and file by March 1 previous to the year in which you plan to enroll in college

7. How do I pay for my courses at NOVA? Does NOVA have a payment plan? How do I utilize this payment plan?
The most up-to-date information regarding payment deadlines and payment methods, including how to use the payment plan can be found at:

8. How do I get in touch with a financial aid counselor at NOVA?
Email the Loudoun Campus Financial Aid Office at If you do not receive a timely response to your email, you may want to consider coming in-person to the financial aid office during walk-in hours.

A financial aid counselor on any NOVA Campus can help you. The financial aid counselors at the Loudoun Campus are located in the LR building, room 253. Call first to confirm their walk-in appointment hours before you come to the office, 703.450.2571.

Visit the NOVA Financial Aid Campus Offices website for more information.

If you need information under timely circumstances make sure you see a financial aid counselor well before the annual Federal and NOVA priority FAFSA application deadlines. Visit the Financial Aid FAQ section for additional information.

9. How do I get in touch with a Veterans Advisor if I want to apply my Veterans benefits to pay for the cost of the Veterinary Technology program? Email Brian Royer for information about using your Veterans benefits. Brian is the Veterans Advisor for the Loudoun Campus. Veterans Advisors exist on every NOVA Campus in the Student Services Office. Any NOVA Veterans Advisor can help you.