Testing Day Basics
- Screen Captures
The Testing Day Basics module provides students with hints for successful testing, whether in the campus Testing Center, in a classroom, or for any standardized test. Materials also discuss how students can best prepare for an exam, including how to be most efficient for each type of exam, how to navigate testing anxiety, and even the best foods to eat for optimal performance.
Outcomes and Objectives
The Testing Day Basics student module meets the following NOVA and VCCS goals and student learning outcomes:
- NOVA General Education Goals:
- Personal Development
- VCCS Student Learning Outcomes:
- Learning how to study and prepare for academic or professional examinations will help students achieve higher levels of success and become more engaged citizens.
Copyright and Usage
Unless otherwise noted, the content in this module and any suggested assignments or assessments are licensed as CC BY NC.
More Info About the Testing Day Basics Student Module
This module was developed in November 2014 by Annalise Rivas, (Former) Testing Center Instructor at the Annandale Campus. Updated by Jason DeFreitas, Annandale Testing Center Supervisor, in April 2017.
- NOVA General Education Goals:
Suggested Assignments and Assessments:
1. My Perfect Test Day
- Students may think you are crazy when you tell them to take a "Spa Day" before their exam, but remind them that getting ready for a test should be just like treating yourself to a spa day; you want to eat right, get plenty of sleep and be relaxed before the big event. Here is a worksheet to help students.
2. Visualizing Testing Success
- Students often panic when they see an exam on the schedule or on the syllabus and feel paralyzed figuring out what to do beforehand. Teaching them the power of Visualizing Testing Success can help them turn a difficult situation into something positive. This article introduces the concept of positive visualization in a light-hearted yet scientifically-based manner. Although it is difficult to judge whether students have engaged in a visualization practice or not, presenting them the options and perhaps sharing your own visualization success story or having them write a small journal entry about their experience might help them out.
Use the Testing Day Basics Student Module With:
- Time Management module - introduce the concept of effective scheduling
- Testing Center Preparation module - access additional resources for testing skills
- In-Class Exam Preparation module - help prepare for testing as part of a class
Get More Help Using the Testing Day Basics Student Module:
- For students who need more support preparing for exams or learning study skills, direct them to the relevant resource through Academic Support Services at Annandale.
- If you need to refer students to the Testing Center for special accommodations testing, to make-up an exam, or for any other reason, please see the Faculty Resources tab on the Annandale Testing Center’s website. If students need more support preparing for academic exams, they can visit the Annandale Academic Support Centers.
- To alert students to the consequences of academic dishonesty, direct them to the Student Handbook segment on Academic Dishonesty or the Academic Integrity segment of the NOVA Catalog.