Enabling students to move from passive reading experiences to active reading experiences is a valuable gift in higher education. This student module introduces one popular and useful BDA reading strategy, the Survey-Question-Read-Recite-Review method or SQ3R.
Outcomes and Objectives
The SQ3R student module meets the following NOVA and VCCS goals and student learning outcomes:
- NOVA General Education Goals:
- Understand and interpret complex materials
- Assimilate, organize, develop and present an idea formally and informally
- Use standard English
- Critical Thinking
- Discriminate among degrees of credibility, accuracy and reliability of inferences drawn from given data
- Recognize parallels, assumptions or presuppositions in any given source of information
- Evaluate the strengths and relevance of arguments on a particular question or issue
- Weigh evidence and decide if generalizations or conclusions based on the given data are warranted
- Determine whether certain conclusions or consequences are supported by the information provided
- Use problem solving skills
- Cultural and Social Understanding
- Recognize the impact that arts and humanities have upon individuals and cultures
- Recognize the role of language in social and cultural contexts
- Information Literacy
- Evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporate selected information into his or her knowledge base
- Use information effectively, individually or as a member of a group, to accomplish a specific purpose
- Personal Development
- Develop and/or enhance the knowledge, skills and understanding to make informed academic, social, personal, career and interpersonal decisions
- VCCS Developmental English Redesign Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate the use of pre-reading, reading and post-reading skills with college-level texts
More Info About the SQ3R Reading Strategy Student Module
This module was developed in September 2013 by Emily Miller, Reading and Writing Center Supervisor for Annandale's LTR. Updated September 2015.
- NOVA General Education Goals:
Suggested Assignments and Assessments:
1. Monitoring the Reading Process
- Scholastic Professional Books provide a flowchart of self-correcting behaviors and information on self-monitoring for the reading process.
2. The Ohio Resource Center for Math, Science and Reading provides a discussion of self-monitoring discussion and suggestions.
Tips and Resources adapted from the VCCS's 2011 Curriculum Guide for Developmental English: Preparing for English 1, English 2 and English 3
Use the Reading Strategy -- SQ3R Student Module With:
- How to Understand an Assignment Module - introduce tools for better understanding assignment requirements
- Computers and Databases Module - introduce research tools for finding sources
- Credible Sources Module - introduce evaluating sources
- Reading an Academic Article Module - introduce tools to aid in the comprehension of academic texts
- Time Management Module - introduce project management
Get More Help Using the SQ3R Reading Strategy Student Module:
Students needing more help with the SQ3R Reading Strategy should contact the Annandale Reading and Writing Center.
- Please visit the For Faculty link for information on tutoring services, referring students and requesting instructional workshops.