- Screen Captures
The Academic Vocabulary student module will help students understand how vocabulary can differ in academic reading and writing and in different disciplines. The module also presents resources for learning common and new academic words.
Outcomes and Objectives
The Academic Vocabulary student module meets the following:
- VCCS General Education Goal of Communication
- Developmental English SLO:
- Expand Vocabulary by Using Various Methods
Copyright and Usage
Unless otherwise noted, the content in this module and any suggested assignments or assessments are licensed by CC BY
More Info About the Academic Vocabulary Student Module
This module was originally developed in April 2013 by Veronica Campos, (Former) ESL Center Supervisor at the Annandale Campus. Revisions and additions were done by Paula DeRoy, (Former) Reference Librarian, in June 2014 and by Jami Yazdani in January 2016.
Suggested Assignments and Assessments:
Vocabulary Journal Exercise
- This Vocabulary Journal Exercise can be paired with any class readings to help students identify and learn new words.
Academic Word List Worksheets
- Alex Case has created a wealth of worksheets to accompany learning the Academic Word List. A list of these worksheets is on his blog, TEFLtastic, at https://tefltastic.wordpress.com/worksheets/eap/awl/
Use the Academic Vocabulary Module With:
- Reading Strategy: SQ3R module - learn active reading skills
- Reading an Academic Article module - introduce tools to aid in the comprehension of academic texts
Get More Help Using the Academic Vocabulary Module:
Contact Brian Adler, ESL Center Supervisor at the Annandale Campus, for assistance and suggestions for using this module.
- Screen Captures