- Employment Opportunities
- Student Responsibilities
- Student Rights
The Academic Success Center (ASC) is always accepting applications, and we hire outstanding NOVA students in ASC for our peer tutoring program continually throughout the year as needed. Our peer tutors serve as community leaders and academic support for their fellow NOVA students, all while earning a good wage and building job experience.
If you are a student and would like to assist others with achieving academic success, please consider applying.
If you are a faculty member and you have students in your classes who would make great tutors, please let them know about this opportunity.
Prospective tutors should complete and return the Student Tutor Application, which is also available at our Center in AA 229.
- Keep ASC tidy. No food is allowed. Only covered drinks can be brought in. All appointments must occur in the Center unless otherwise approved by a Center Supervisor.
- Tutors, staff and faculty will treat students with courtesy and patience. Students are expected to treat others with the same respect.
- Tutors will encourage students and will not question or judge students’ intellect or motivations. Students are expected to extend the same courtesy.
- Tutors and staff are trained in confidentiality issues and will not discuss individual students with friends, family or other students. Students are expected to extend the same courtesy to fellow students whom they encounter in ASC.
- ASC ensures that tutors are scheduled for appointments and walk-in assistance. However, we ask that students understand that tutors may not be available in all subjects at the time of a request. All appointments are subject to availability.
- Tutors and tutees will give their full attention to the tutoring session. Phones should be silenced and other distractions should be eliminated. Do not bring friends to one-on-one sessions.
- After 15 minutes have elapsed, appointments may be canceled and tutors may be assigned to work with other students. Recurring cancellations or tardiness may result in suspension of tutoring access until meeting with an ASC staff member.
- ASC hires tutors with excellent academic records and faculty recommendations. However, tutoring is not a substitute for attending class. Students are not allowed to use ASC services during class time.
- Tutors will seek out appropriate resources to assist students. Students are expected to come prepared and to bring textbooks, syllabi and assignments to their tutoring appointments.
- Students are responsible for their own work. Tutors are not allowed to do homework for students, nor are they allowed to help on quizzes and exams.
- Tutors are trained in learning styles and strategies. ASC staff is available to offer further suggestions and resources. Students are expected to take responsibility for seeking out additional help when they require it.
All students have the right to:
- A clean, comfortable, accessible environment in the Academic Success Center.
- Be treated with respect and consideration.
- Be treated as individuals.
- Have matters of confidentiality respected by tutors and staff.
- Be assisted by a tutor for a maximum of two 50-minute sessions per subject per week. Students with a MOA on file in ASC can receive three 50-minute sessions per subject per week.
- The attention of their tutor for the duration of tutoring sessions.
- Expect that their sessions will begin on time. Tutors and tutees are expected to communicate regarding any delays in a timely manner and provide a minimum of 24 hours’ notice for cancellations.
- Work with tutors skilled in the subjects being tutored.
- Work with tutors who are focused and prepared.
- Make the final decision regarding their work.
- Learn strategies for effective study and exam preparation and to be directed to more resources as needed.
Here are comments some NOVA students have made about our services:
“I have good interactions with the students and tutors here. I like the way they explain the topics and they help me to improve my grades.”
“ASC has helped me as a student by making me more confident. It is really great to come here and have a peer help me and answer questions that I’ve had about course material.”
“I get appointment and walk-in help and help from peers in ASC. I made two appointments a week for Calculus I and ended up with an A in the class.”
“I like all of the workshops. They are very helpful, especially the one about finals and what you need to do to prepare for finals.”
“It was very helpful. Now I’m more confident than before.”
“The tutor Michael is a great help and very knowledgeable of the subject matter.”
“Wenliang is very patient and understanding.”
“Yolanda is a magnificent tutor who makes the material easy to understand.”
“Francis was very helpful and patient. He helped me understand my assignments very well. Thank you.”
“I love ASC!”