Apply for Admission and I-20 Form
Application Windows for the Intensive English Program
Overseas or Change of Status Applications
- Fall Semester: February 15 to June 30
- Spring Semester: July 15 to November 30
- Summer Session: December 15 to April 1
F-1 Transfer Applications
- Fall Semester: February 15 to August 1
- Spring Semester: July 15 to December 15
- Summer Session: December 15 to May 1
- 1. Online Application
- 2. International Student Application Fee
- 3. I-20 Application Form
- 4. F-1 Financial Statement Form
- 5. Bank Statement
- 6. Proof of Completion of Secondary Education
- 7. Passport
- 8. English Proficiency
1. Online Application
- Apply Online
- The application asks about your educational goals. Please choose the academic program you intend to pursue at NOVA after you complete your Intensive English Program. You will still need to choose a degree program even if you DO NOT plan to continue your studies at NOVA in order to complete the application. (Due to the restricted nature of some programs such as Veterinary Technology and Dental Hygiene, some programs are currently not available to F-1 students.)
- For the English Proficiency question please choose 3rd choice in drop down “I will take English Placement exam at NOVA”.
- Make a note of the Student Information System ID (SIS ID) that is created at the end of the application. Please write this ID number on all your other Admission forms.
2. International Student Application Fee
Submit a non-refundable International Student Application fee of $75.
Students have two options to pay the fee.
NOVA cannot take credit cards, personal checks or cash deposits. If a cash or check deposit is made directly to BB&T it cannot be honored.
Money Order: You may pay the fee by attaching a money order made out to Northern Virginia Community College to your I-20 application package.
You may remit your payment to Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) via bank transfer or ACH transfer to the following bank account:
Please include your full name and student SIS number. Transfers that do not include your name and SIS number will have to be returned because we cannot identify the student account to credit.
Bank Name: Branch Banking and Trust Co. – BB&T
Bank Address: 4401 Backlick Road, Annandale, VA 22003
Account Name: NVCC General Fund – Local
Bank Routing #: 051404260
Bank Account #: 0000151037216
SWIFT #: BRBTUS33
Please note NOVA does not accept funds in excess of $75. If excess funds are sent to NOVA, the entire amount of the transfer will be returned to the originating institution.
3. I-20 Application Form
Download, complete, print and sign the I-20 Application Form.
4. F-1 Financial Statement Form
If you have a sponsor, please have the sponsor complete and sign the second page of the F-1 form.
5. Bank Statement
Provide recent bank statements from your financial sponsor dated no more than six months before the start of the semester for which you are applying.
NOTE: If your sponsor is a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, he or she may submit form I-134 as proof of funds. Please see the Affidavit of Support (I-134) site for more information.
6. Proof of Completion of Secondary Education
Provide evidence that you have completed the equivalent of a U.S. high school education. If the documentation is not in English, you need to submit an official English translation. Please do not send original diplomas or certificates as we cannot return them to you. (NOTE: If the documentation is not in English, you need to submit an official English translation.)
- Certified copy of your secondary school diploma or certificate equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma OR
- Evidence of your attendance in college or university level studies.
- Participants in a J-1 Au Pair or Summer Work Travel program may demonstrate that they have met this requirement by providing a copy of your DS-2019.
- If you are currently still in high school but will graduate soon, please ask your school to provide an official letter stating the date by which you will complete your studies. You must complete your secondary education before you begin classes at NOVA.
Provide a photocopy of your passport ID page.
8. English Proficiency
Students applying to the Intensive English program are not required to submit a standardized English placement score such as TOEFL or IELTS for admissions to the program. However we do recommend you have a score which will help to provide a baseline of your language abilities and also for visa approval purposes. You will take the English Accuplacer test upon arrival to NOVA and may be asked to take an additional English assessment to ensure you are placed into the appropriate English level before classes begin.
- Please include a copy of your current I-20
- Please include a copy of your current visa, current I-94 and any immigration documentation you have for your current status (i.e. DS-2019 if in J-1 status, I-797 if a previous change of status)
NOTE: Application Deadlines for F-1 Transfer and Change of Status Students:
All forms and documents should be mailed or delivered directly to the Office of International Student Services no later than the deadline.
Office of International Student Services
Northern Virginia Community College
7630 Little River Turnpike, Suite 405
Annandale, VA 22003
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
After the Office of International Student Services reviews your documents and determines that you have met all the requirements, the I-20 will be issued. Based on the information you provided on your I-20 Application Form, we will mail your I-20 to you or call you to let you know when it is ready to pick up.