Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:

Associate Degree Program

Follow the step-by-step checklist below to apply to the College and request an I-20 form.

Apply for Admission and I-20 Form

Students who are eligible for the associate’s degree programs begin in the Fall and Spring semesters.

Application Window for the Associate Degree Program

Overseas and Change of Status Applications

  • Fall Semester: February 15 to June 30
  • Spring Semester: July 15 to November 15

F-1 Transfer Applications

  • Fall Semester: February 15 August 1
  • Spring Semester: July 15 to December 15

NOTE: Incoming transfer students must take an English placement test at NOVA before registering for classes. You will not be required to take the test if you have already completed a three-credit college English Composition course at an accredited U.S. college or university with a grade of C or better. If this is the case, please bring an official (unopened) transcript with you when you check in at the campus.

1. Online Application

Make a note of the Student Information System ID (SIS ID) that is created at the end of the application. Please write this ID number on all your other forms.

  • Apply Online
  • The application asks about your educational goals. If you plan to pursue a degree, please include the academic program you intend to pursue at NOVA. You must choose an associate's degree program. (Due to the restricted nature of some programs such as Veterinary Technology and Dental Hygiene, some programs are currently not available to F-1 students.)
  • Make a note of the Student Information System ID (SIS ID) that is created at the end of the application. Please write this ID number on all your other Admission forms.
2. I-20 Application Form

Download, complete, print and sign the I-20 Application Form.

3. International Student Application Fee

If you plan on changing your status to F1 in the U.S., you should meet with an International Student Advisor in the Office of International Students before paying the fee.

Submit a non-refundable International Student Application fee of $75.

Students have two options to pay the fee.

**NOVA cannot take credit cards, personal checks or cash deposits. If a cash or check deposit is made directly to BB&T it cannot be honored.

1. Money Order: You may pay the fee by attaching a money order made out to Northern Virginia Community College to your I-20 application package.

2. You may remit your payment to Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) via bank transfer or ACH transfer to the following bank account:

Please include your full name and student SIS number. Transfers that do not include your name and SIS number will have to be returned because we cannot identify the student account to credit.

Bank Name: Branch Banking and Trust Co. – BB&T
Bank Address: 4401 Backlick Road, Annandale, VA 22003
Account Name: NVCC General Fund – Local
Bank Routing #: 051404260
Bank Account #: 0000151037216

Please note NOVA does not accept funds in excess of $75. If excess funds are sent to NOVA, the entire amount of the transfer will be returned to the originating institution.

4. F-1 Financial Statement Form

If you have a sponsor, please have the sponsor complete and sign the second page of the F-1 form.

5. Bank Statement

Provide recent bank statements from your financial sponsor dated no more than six months before the start of the semester for which you are applying. 

NOTE: If your sponsor is a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, he or she may submit form I-134 as proof of funds. Please see the Affidavit of Support (I-134) site for more information.

6. Proof of Completion of Secondary Education

Provide evidence that you have completed the equivalent of a U.S. high school education by submitting one of the following: Please do not send original diplomas or certificates as we cannot return them to you. (NOTE: If the documentation is not in English, you need to submit an official English translation.)

  • Certified copy of your secondary school diploma or certificate equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma OR
  • Evidence of your attendance in college or university level studies.
  • Participants in a J-1 Au Pair or Summer Work Travel program may provide a copy of their DS-2019 to demonstrate that they have met this requirement.
  • If you are currently still in high school but will graduate soon, please ask your school to provide an official letter stating the date by which you will complete your studies. You must complete your secondary education before you begin classes at NOVA.
7. Provide Evidence of English Proficiency

Student will be placed directly into ENG 111 without having to sit for any ESL or ENG placement testing if they meet one of the below requirements. Test scores should be within the past two years

  • TOEFL - 95 or higher (NOVA’s TOEFL reporting code is 5515)
  • Students with IELTS 7.5 or higher will still be required to take English Accuplacer test upon arrival for final placement into English courses. If place less than Level 6 than some ESL coursework may be required.
  • Accuplacer Test - Level 6 or higher (must be taken at any NOVA Testing Center within last 12 months).
  • SAT
    • 480 and above on English Evidence Based Reading/Writing (for SATs taken after March 2016).
    • 460 and 479 on the English Evidence Based Reading/Writing eligible for ENG 111 co-enrolled with ENF 3 (for SATs taken before March 2016).
    • 500 and above on both the Critical Reading and Writing portions (for SATs taken before March 2016.
  • ACT
    • 18 minimum combined score on both English and writing tests
    • 15-17 combined score on both the English and Reading are eligible for ENG 111 co-enrolled with ENF 3.
  • Studied at a U.S. college or university whose credits are accepted by NOVA and have taken the equivalent of NOVA’s ENG 111 as part of a full-time course load (12 credits). You must have received a C or better in the English class and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. An original transcript in a sealed envelope must be mailed from the college/university directly to the Office of International Student Services 7630 Little River Turnpike, Suite 405, Annandale, Virginia 22003.
  • Graduated from a U.S. high school within the last 5 years may be considered eligible for ENG 111 or co-enrolled with ENF3

    • High school GPA of 3.0 or higher (eligible for ENG 111).

    • High school GPA of 2.7-2.9, (eligible for ENG 111 with ENF 3)

    • Satisfactory score on AP, IB, Cambridge Advanced Level, or CLEP exams

  • You have studied at an ELS Language Center and passed Level 112. A copy of the certificate needs to be submitted with your application. Certificates are subject to verification with the ESL Language Center.
8. Passport

Provide a photocopy of your passport ID page.

9. Send Documents to Office of International Student Services

By Mail:
Office of International Student Services
Northern Virginia Community College
8333 Little River Turnpike
Annandale, VA 22003

By Email:
This is the preferred method especially while the College is closed due to COVID 19.
Send documents in one pdf attachment to: oiss@nvcc.edu

Contact us:
Phone: 703.323.3423 (leave a message and someone will return your call within 24 hours)
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (no walk ins at this time)

Once the Office of International Student Services reviews your documents and determines that you have met all the requirements, the I-20 will be issued. Based on the information you provided on your I-20 Application Form, we will mail your I-20 to you or call you to let you know when it is ready to pick up. (All I 20s will be mailed via UPS until further notice.)

Important Information

F-1 Transfer Students:
Please include a copy of your current I-20.

Change of Status Students:
Please include a copy of your current visa, current I-94 and any immigration documentation you have for your current status (ex. DS-2019 if in J-1 status, I-797 if the previous change of status).