In Fall 2012, the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) reengineering initiative asked each college to rethink its policies and practices around the evaluation of teaching faculty. A new VCCS Faculty Development and Evaluation Policy was approved and a VCCS Model Plan was developed as a template for colleges to consider. Each college could modify the VCCS Model Plan as long as its revisions remained consistent with the new VCCS policy and did not alter its fundamental principles.
In May of 2013, NOVA’s full-time teaching faculty overwhelmingly approved the NOVA Teaching Faculty Evaluation Plan that a committee of our full-time faculty developed. The VCCS, however, suggested revisions to ensure strict compliance with VCCS policy and to increase clarity.
The revisions included:
- updating dates within the document to reflect the most recent VCCS evaluation calendar;
- clarification of the grievance procedures to guarantee that faculty receive a mandatory peer review;
- inclusion of Annual Performance and Professional Development objectives for probationary first-year teaching faculty;
- inclusion of the requirement of student evaluations for every course during the evaluation period;
- clarification of the tax implications of awards for rewards and recognition;
- a separate evaluation form for probationary faculty and a new evaluation form for senior faculty on both three- and five-year contracts.
The NOVA Faculty Evaluation Committee has completed the required revisions and is asking for the teaching faculty to vote again.
Below you will find:
- the newly revised NOVA Faculty Evaluation Plan,
- a revised presentation prepared by the NOVA Faculty Evaluation Committee,
- the VCCS Model Plan and
- the VCCS Faculty Evaluation Policy.
Please review the revised NOVA Faculty Evaluation Committee Presentation.
- The Final NOVA Faculty Development and Evaluation Plan
- The VCCS Model Plan
- The New VCCS Faculty Development and Evaluation Policy
VOTE: Indicate your plan preference by using the link in your NOVA email from the Faculty Evaluation Committee.