NOVA-Woodbridge is partnered with Year Up to offer an intensive training program that provides young adults, ages 18-24, with a combination of hands-on skill development, college credits, corporate internships and educational support.
The program prepares students by providing them with professional, interpersonal and technical skills they need to begin successful IT and Cyber Security careers upon graduation. Internships with corporate partners allow students to gain valuable experience and local businesses to add competent, skilled professionals to their workforce.
About Year Up
Year Up is an award-winning, national 501(c)3 organization striving to close the Opportunity Divide by providing young adults (ages 18-24) with the skills, experience and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Year Up envisions a future in which every young adult will have access to the education, experiences and guidance required to realize his or her true potential and meaningful employment.
We have now served more than 13,000 young adults and operate in 16 cities across the U.S. This year marked our strongest outcomes thus far, with 89% of graduates employed or attending school full-time within four months of completing the program. The average starting wage for employed graduates was $18/hour, equivalent to more than $36,000/year.
Earn While You Learn
Year Up’s FREE, one-year intensive training program empowers young adults to succeed in professional careers and higher education and provides:
- Six months of intensive professional training.
- Courses in IT or Cyber Security provided by NOVA for up to 30 credits.
- A six-month corporate internship with a respected company.
- A stipend for 6 months up to $200 per month during professional training and up to $960 per month during the internship.
- Guidance and support from a professional staff coach and mentor.
- A community of more than 6,000 alumni nationwide that provides career guidance and job placement support.
85% of Year Up graduates are employed or attending college full-time within four months of completing the program. Those employed earn an average starting salary of $32,000 per year.
How Do I Begin?
Take five minutes to let Year Up know you want to apply by submitting an interest form today. For more information about the Year Up program and application process, attend an upcoming Information Session. Sessions take place at the NOVA-Woodbridge Campus in the Seefeldt Building, room 230A.
Eligibility requirements include:
- High school graduate or GED recipient
- Age 18-24 (students may apply at 17 and must submit an application before their 25th birthday)
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident or have an employment authorization card
- Enrolled or interested in enrolling full-time for 15-18 credit hours at NOVA
- Students who are majoring in or wish to major in General Studies, Information Technology, Information Systems Technology and Cyber Security
- Eligible for Pell Grant financial aid*
For more information about the application process contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.884.1116.
*As a full-time NOVA student you are expected to cover the cost of your college tuition through a combination of grants and scholarships.
What Students Say
One of the most important things I learned during the course of the year is that nothing is impossible and anything can be achieved if you put your heart and energy into it. Year Up Graduate
Year Up changes lives by connecting us to opportunities, then providing the skills and support we need to achieve our full potential. James McGriff, Year Up NCR Alum
NOVA Student Services
As a NOVA Year Up student you will have access to support from Student Services, which includes free tutoring, advising and counseling, disability and military services.
Scholarships, grants and other financial aid opportunities can make your college education more affordable than you ever thought possible. The Woodbridge Campus Financial Aid office is in the Seefeldt Building (WC), room 229. The specially trained staff can help guide you with your financial aid application process.
Meet the Staff
- Tamika Mason, Site Director, 703.878.6136
- Gloria Best, Operations Coordinator, 703.878.6139; 703.884.111
- Andrea Wilson, Admissions Manager, 703.878.6135; 703.884.1116
- Michael Henderson, Admissions & Outreach Coordinator, 703.878.6140; 571.303.1465
- Ronald Jones, Program Manager, 703.878.6137
- Kendrick Griffin, Internship Services Manager, 703.878.6142
- Jen Lanouette, Student Services Specialist, 571.402.6034