Unfortunately, funds for FastForward (formerly Workforce Credential Grant) are no longer available as of November 2017. New funding options may become available starting summer 2018. Please check this website for updates.
- What is FastForward?
- What is the Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC)?
- NOVA’s Eligible Programs
- What is Expected?
- How to Qualify?
What is FastForward?
Sometimes the cost of programs that prepare you for high-demand careers can create a financial barrier. FastForward (formerly Workforce Credential Grant or WCG) subsidizes the cost of select pre-approved high-demand training programs. Students are required to pay one third the cost of the program with the explicit expectation they will seek and obtain the related credential identified for their program of choice. Failure to complete the class will result in the student’s financial obligation to pay an additional one-third of the cost of the program back to the Commonwealth of Virginia. Funding for this program is limited. The funds are available to Virginia residents who meet Virginia domicile requirements. See list of eligible programs below.
Those that participate in FastForward programs are financially responsible for the first third of the full course cost. If you are financially unable to pay the first third as determined by the predefined set of criteria, you may qualify for Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC). Funding for both FastForward and FANTIC programs is limited.
What is the Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC)?
Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC) provides funding for students demonstrating the required financial need who desire to enroll in an approved workforce training program leading to the attainment of an industry-recognized credential or licensure and are not eligible for other funding grants or financial assistance. Applicants will be awarded on a first come first served basis. This financial assistance program will pay for 80% of the student’s cost for the program. Qualified students will be responsible for 20% of the full tuition amount at the time of registration. Funding for this program is limited.
NOVA’s Eligible Programs
- CompTIA® A+ Certification (includes software and hardware)
- CompTIA® Security+
- CompTIA® Network+
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Certified Cisco Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
- Certified Cisco Network Associate (CCNA)
- Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS)
- Nurse Aide Preparation (Certified Nurse Aide – CNA)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
- Certified Pharmacy Tech
What is Expected?
Those participating in either FastForward or FANTIC programs will be expected to regularly attend and participate in all classes. Participants MUST attend at least 90% of all class meetings and complete any requirements set by the instructor to satisfactorily pass the course.
How to Qualify?
To qualify for the Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC) program or FastForward you must meet the Virginia domicile requirements.
- Create a MyWorkforce student profile.
- For Healthcare programs:
- You must first register for a free Healthcare Prequalifying Assessment. After you have registered for the assessment, you will receive an email with instructions on your next steps including the FANTIC application.
- For IT programs:
- Carefully read and complete the FANTIC Application Packet.
- Submit your fully completed application packet including support documents in person to any full-service NOVA Workforce office. Completion of the application does not guarantee you have qualified for FANTIC.
- Your FANTIC application will be reviewed and you will be contacted with the decision of whether or not you meet the qualifications for FANTIC.
- Course registration and payment information will be provided to qualified FANTIC applicants.