Teaching ESL – TESOL Certificate
Alexandria, Annandale, Loudoun, Manassas
Approved for Veterans Benefits
NOVA’s TESOL Certificate Program prepares you to teach English as a Second Language by combining language acquisition theory with guided teaching practice from experienced instructors with advanced degrees.
NOVA’s TESOL Certificate Program (120 hours) includes:
- 102 hours of in-person teacher training in language acquisition methodologies, including student teaching demonstrations and a 2-day teaching practicum
- Ongoing feedback & evaluation on student-teaching demonstrations
- 18 hours of ESL Classroom Observation
- Job placement assistance
After completing this certificate, you are qualified to teach English as a Second Language to adults in an adult education setting, in a community-based program, or at a proprietary school in the US or abroad. This program caters to individuals interested in a career change or seeking to refresh their skills.
Reminders: K–12 certification/licensure must be completed at a four-year institution. Higher education ESL requires a master’s degree in addition to TESOL certification.
To earn NOVA’s TESOL Certificate (120 hours), you must successfully complete the 10 required workshops and 6 elective workshops, plus 18 hours of documented ESL class observation. A Certificate of Completion is offered at the end of the program. Completion of this certificate program normally takes one-to-two semesters.
To receive the certificate, you must attend 90% of the class hours for each workshop as well as completing all requirements set by the instructor, including teaching demonstrations. WDD’s general refund policy applies to all TESOL courses.
Req. Textbook: Teaching Adult ESL, by Betsy Parrish
- High school completion
- Non-native English speakers must provide English proficiency results via one of these placement tests: Accuplacer Score of 300+ points and advanced writing/speaking skills (equivalent to English 111) or TOEFL Score of 95+ points in the IBT
- Prior ESL teaching experience is not required.
- Introduction to TESOL
- ELT Methodology
- Assessing English Proficiency
- Lesson Planning
- Teaching Speaking & Listening
- Teaching Reading & Writing
- Teaching Grammar
- Classroom Management
- TESOL Practicum (2 days)
- TESOL Review
Call 703-845-6227 or e-mail email@example.com for information.