Instructional assistance and technical support are provided to individual students in the following areas:
- Interpretation of error messages as diagnostics produced by the system and guidance in computer programming and debugging.
- Problems related to word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- The Open Computer Lab is responsible for assisting students in finding their Username and Password to log on to NOVA's system. The staff has developed a written procedure for finding your Username and Password and is available to help students in doing so.
- For further assistance handouts/instructions are available.
The Open Computer Lab provides 73 computers which include:
- DELL OPTIPLEX 745, P4 3.20 GHz, RAM 512MB
- DELL OPTIPLEX GX 280, P4 3.20 GHz, RAM 512MB
- HP COMPAQ dc 7800, Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz, RAM 2GB
The OCL has installed two HP Scanners. Students are expected to have a basic knowledge of how to operate a scanner in order to use this equipment. Help with the scanner is available only for course related materials.
Headphones are available with any ID.
A list of available software is posted in the lab. However, a general list of software installed includes (but is not limited to):
- Microsoft Office 2003/2007 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Adobe Creative Suite CS, CS2, CS3
- Internet Explorer/Netscape browsers
- Instructional software (ADAM, MyMathLab, TextPad, SAM 06/07, SPSS, AutoCAD 08&09, Keyboarding, Java, C++, VB)
- All computers are connected to laser printers, operating on a pay-per-page system. Check “Printing Procedures.”
- One workstation is available for disabled individuals. Jaws and Zoom Text programs are installed.
- Bring your laptops to the OCL. We will assist you on how to get your laptop on wireless.
- A plasma TV is setup for special announcements.