General Admission Information for Non-Credit ESL
Step 1. Make an appointment for the ESL Placement Test.
All new students must take a placement test before registering because ACLI has more than 40 different classes.
Please call the office at 703.257.6536 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment for the test. Email your full name, phone number, date and time (see Testing Schedule below) when you would like to take the test.
ESL Testing Schedule
- Thursday, March 11 at 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 27 at 10:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 6 at 6:30 p.m.
- More testing dates will be available soon!
Step 2. Apply for College Admission
1. New students apply to the college when they take their Placement Test or they can apply online before the test. Applyas a CEU student!
2. Please bring a picture ID. You may show:
- Permanent Resident card (Green Card)
- Visa (B1/B2, J-1, F-1, or other)
- Driver's License
- Employment Authorization card
- Any other official picture ID
3. You will be given a Student ID number, also called EmplID
Step 3. Take the Placement Test
1. There is a $10 testing fee. This fee must be paid at the time of the test and it is non-refundable. We accept cash or check only.
2. All students take the same test. Some questions are for beginning ESL students. Some questions are for advanced students. The test will help us to decide what class will be best for you.
3. The test takes about 1.5 hours. Please be on time!
Step 4. Meet with ESL Staff
1. After your test, you can come to the college and meet with an ESL staff member. You will discuss your class level and your plans.
2. You will get your:
- Course schedule
- Book list
- Other information you need
Step 5. Register for Classes (office or online)
1. After you meet with the ESL staff, it is time to register for your class.
2. Staff will help you register using your Student ID number.
3. Returning students can register online.
Step 6. Pay for Courses, Get Your Student ID Card
1. You can pay for your class by check and cash at the Continuing Education office. If you want to pay by credit card you must register online.
2. Get your Student ID card at the Business office (Manassas Campus - Howsmon Hall Room 312). Your picture will be taken.
- Intensive Students must have ID cards.
- Part-time student are encouraged to get an ID card, too.
Step 7. Get Your Books and Parking Permit
1. If you need a parking permit for your car, you will get the information to give to Parking Services (Manassas - Howsmon Hall Room 309).
2. You will get a list of bookstore hours so you can buy your books (MH Building Room 109).