General Admission Information for Non-Credit ESL
Step 1. Make an appointment for the ESL Placement Test.
All new students must take a placement test before registering for classes.
ACLI Manassas Placement Testing
Schedule an appointment for a writing and speaking placement test by calling 703-257-6536 or by e-mail at MA-ACLI@nvcc.edu.
ACLI Woodbridge Placement Testing
Schedule an appointment for a writing and speaking placement test by calling 703-878-5770 or by e-mail at WO-ACLI@nvcc.edu.
Step 2. Apply for College Admission
1. New students can apply to the college online before the test or complete an application (online or paper) during the test. Important: Apply as a Non-Credit student! If you have taken the test or classes before, do not apply again.
2. You will be given a Student ID number, also called EmplID. If you don't remember your Student ID number we can look it up for you.
Step 3. Take the Placement Test
1. All students take the same test - a writing sample and an oral interview. Some questions are for beginning ESL students. Some questions are for advanced students. The test will help us to decide what class will be best for you.
2. Please bring a picture ID. You may show your Passport, Green Card, Visa (B1/B2, J-1, F-1, or other), Driver's License, or any other official picture ID
3. The test takes about 1 hour. Please be on time! If you are late we may have to reschedule you for another date.
Step 4. Meet with ESL Staff
1. After your test, you can come to the college and meet with an ESL staff member. You will discuss your class level and your plans.
2. You will get your:
- Course schedule
- Book list
- Other information you need
Step 5. Register for Classes (office or online)
1. After you meet with the ESL staff, it is time to register for your class.
2. Staff will help you register using your Student ID number.
3. Returning students can register online.
Step 6. Pay for Courses, Get Your Student ID Card
1. You can pay for your class by check and cash at the Campus Business office. If you want to pay by credit card you must register online.
2. Get your Student ID card at the Business office (Manassas Campus - Howsmon Hall Room 312). Your picture will be taken.
- Intensive Students must have ID cards.
- Part-time student are encouraged to get an ID card, too.
Step 7. Get Your Books and Parking Permit
1. If you need a parking permit for your car, you will get the information to give to Parking Services (Manassas - Howsmon Hall Room 309).
2. You will get a list of bookstore hours so you can buy your books (MH Building Room 109).
You will receive a full refund if you cancel your class within 7 days after the start date. No tuition refunds will be made after these dates. All refund requests must be made in writing or in person. If your class is cancelled by the college, a full refund will be issued. All refunds are issued as checks from the Commonwealth of Virginia and will be mailed to the student’s current mailing address. Refunds take approximately 2–4 weeks to be processed. Refund checks will be made payable to the student, regardless of who paid for the course.
Failure to attend: If you are not in class by the refund deadline and have not contacted us, you may be dropped from your class without a refund. If you miss 20% of the class without ever attending, you will be withdrawn without a refund. Note: This refund policy applies to ESLA courses only.