General Admission Information for Non-Credit ESL
Step 1. Make an appointment for the ESL Placement Test.
All new students must take a placement test before enrolling in classes. Please call our office at 703.450.2551 or send an email with your name and testing date to LO-ACLI@nvcc.edu to make an appointment for the test. Testing dates are for the Signal Hill location (near NOVA's Loudoun Campus) in Sterling.
ESL Testing Schedule
- Tuesday, December 16 at 10 & 10:30 am
- Thursday, December 18 at 6 & 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, January 6 at 10 & 10:30 am
- Wednesday, January 7 at 6 & 6:30 pm
- Thursday, January 8 at 10 & 10:30 am
- Friday, January 9 at 6 & 6:30 pm
- Saturday, January 10 at 10 & 10:30 am
- Wednesday, January 14 at 10 & 10:30 am
- Thursday, January 15 at 6 & 6:30 pm
- Friday, January 16 at 10 & 10:30 am
- Tuesday, January 27 at 6 & 6:30 pm
Step 2. Apply for College Admission
1. New students can apply to the college online before the test or complete an application (online or paper) during the test. Important: Apply as a Non-Credit student! If you have taken the test or classes before, do not apply again.
2. You will be given a Student ID number, also called EmplID. If you don't remember your Student ID number we can look it up for you.
Step 3. Take the Placement Test
1. All students take the same test - a writing sample and an oral interview. Some questions are for beginning ESL students. Some questions are for advanced students. The test will help us to decide what class will be best for you.
2. Come to NOVA’s American Culture and Language Institute (ACLI) at Loudoun, which is located at 21335 Signal Hill Plaza, 3rd floor, Sterling, VA 20164
3. Please bring a picture ID. You may show your Passport, Green Card, Visa (B1/B2, J-1, F-1, or other), Driver's License, or any other official picture ID
4. The test takes about 1.5 hours. Please be on time! If you are late we may have to reschedule you for another date.
Step 4. Pick up the Test Results
1. You must come in person to our office to pick up the test results and meet with an ESL staff member. We do not give out the results over the phone or to another person, including family members.
2. You will discuss your class level and your study plans.
3. You will get your course schedule, book list, and other information you need.
Step 5. Register and Pay for Classes (in person or online)
1. We will help you register in our office or over the phone using your NOVA Student ID number. We accept the following methods of payments:
- Credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express payments can be made in person, online or over the phone 703.450.2551.
- Check and Cash payment can be made at the Loudoun Campus Business Office (LR 241). You must be enrolled in a class before making your payment.
2. Returning students can register and pay online (see course schedule).
3. Payment is due in full at the time of registration.
Step 6. Get Your Books, Student ID Card, and Parking Permit if needed
1. Books are required for all classes and and can be purchased at the Loudoun campus bookstore room LR135. For opening hours, call 703-450-2589 or check the web site.
2. Get your NOVA Student ID card at the Business office (Loudoun Campus - LR241). Your picture will be taken.
- Intensive Students must have ID cards.
- Part-time student are encouraged to get an ID card, too.
3. Not all classes are held at NOVA's Loudoun campus. If your class is held at the Loudoun campus you will need a parking permit or use the metered parking. Parking permits are sold at Parking Services (Loudoun Campus - LR 241). There is no parking fee for classes held at off campus locations. You will be given maps and directions to your class locations.