With DSST, you can earn college credits — And everything you need to know is a result of your life experience.
College credits are available in 37 unique subjects. Disciplines include Business, Humanities, Mathematics, Physical Science, and more. From personal accounting to your health, from law enforcement or ethics, there's a DSST subject you already know well.
Get the Credit You Deserve
Whether you’re looking to start a new career or advance in your current job, a few more academic credits can make a big difference. And because you're on your way to a college degree, the extra credits you earn through DSST will free you up to focus your time and energies on the courses you want to take.
NOVA Course Equivalencies for DSST
Combine DSST with Other Prior Learning Assessment
DSST is an effective method to provide your college with evidence of prior learning. In fact, the exams available at a competitive fee compliment other credit by exam programs such as CLEP. Prior Learning Assessment will help you accelerate your path to degree completion while saving you the time it takes to sit through a course, as well as the additional dollars spent on tuition. Check out your options for degree acceleration through prior learning assessment now at GetCollegeCredit.com. Then, contact counselors at your college or university to learn about their credit awarding policy. The exams are delivered at NOVA, Alexandria Campus by the Office of Workforce Development and Continuing Education.
Accelerate Your Degree
It takes 90 minutes or less to complete a DSST exam. You will also find preparation resources GetCollegeCredit.com. A fact sheet with recommended study material is available for free on the website in addition to a list of approved study materials by test preparation companies. Imagine cutting months off your degree completion requirements in practically no time at all… Or checking off a few elective credits in just one day.
Where Do I Go Next?
We suggest you take a look at the subjects offered by DSST. Then, match them to your current knowledge and prior work experience. Talk with your learning institution about academic credit for your passing scores. And most importantly, meet with your academic advisor, who will help you match the exams to your personal academic goals. Continuing Education only administers the exam. For transcript evaluations or any other questions regarding DSST subjects, please visit Counseling Services at your school.
NOVA Counseling Services
Bisdorf Building, Room 194
Over 1900 institutions award credit for DSST and the exams are available at NOVA, Alexandria Campus by the Office of Workforce Development and Continuing Education.
Register for DSST today. Your credit is waiting!
NOVA Alexandria Campus
Bisdorf Building, Room 230
3001 N. Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311-5097
- Email Workforce Development-Testing Services at ALCETesting@nvcc.edu to schedule your exam. (Exams are scheduled for weekdays 8 am-2 pm.)
- Fill out the Online Registration-Admission Form. Use a separate application form for each DSST exam you wish to take. You may schedule only one exam for each day.
- Then on the day of your exam, go to Bisdorf Bldg, Room 230 to submit your registration and payment. Please arrive 30 minutes before the testing time in order to complete the registration process. You must also bring two forms of identification. The primary form must be a government-issued photo ID. Full payment is accepted at the time of registration.
- Fee Payment: Two separate payments are required for each exam you register to take.
$80.00: Credit card (VISA, MasterCard and American Express)
$75.00: Cash only payable to NOVA for test administration.
The Test Taking Experience
For information and tools designed to help you minimize test anxiety:
- A Fact Sheet that outlines topics covered by each test, and includes sample questions and a list of reference books that would be useful for review.
- The Official DSST Test Preparation Guide covers the most popular business titles.
- Online practice tests are available in Mathematics, Social Science, Business, Physical
- Science, Applied Technology and Humanities, to help you assess your knowledge level.
- A Candidate Information Bulletin offers tips that will help you arrive with the right tools on examination day.
- Students with disabilities (as prescribed by the ADA) may receive special accommodations on test day.
More information is available online at www.GetCollegeCredit.com.