General Admission Information for Non-Credit ESL
Step 1. Apply for College Admission
- Application for Admission: If you have never taken a credit or non-credit class at Northern Virginia Community College or any other Virginia community college, you must complete the Application for Admission before registering for any CE class. If you prefer, you may also fill out the application online at https://apply.vccs.edu/app/app.htm.
- Apply as a CEU student to take classes in the ACLI.
- You will be given a student number (EMPLID) when you finish your online application.
Step 2. Make an Appointment for the ACLI Placement Test
If you are a returning student, you may register in person. If you are a new student, you will need to take the Placement Test first.
Sign up for an ACLI Placement Test appointment one of three ways:
- Come to the ACLI Office (Bisdorf Building, Room AA 230)
- E-mail us at email@example.com
- Call 703-845-6329
Bring your NOVA ID (EMPLID) and your photo ID to the ACLI Office (A 230) when you come for testing.
Step 3. Take the ACLI Placement Test
- Bring your NOVA ID (EMPLID) and your photo ID to the ACLI Office (A 230) when you come for testing.
- You will take a writing test and an oral interview. This test will take between 1-2 hours.
- At the end of your test, you will have your ESL level and registration paper.
Step 4. Register for Classes
- Staff at the window in Bisdorf room 230 will help you register using your Student ID number (EMPLID).
- You may not register before you receive the results of the test.
- Registering early may also prevent the disappointment of a cancelled or closed class.
- Refund Policy - To receive a refund for ESL classes, you must cancel ONE week after the class starts.
Step 5. Pay for Courses, Get Your Student ID Card
- You can pay for your class by check and cash at the Business Office. If you want to pay by credit card you must pay online or by phone.
- Get your Student ID card near the Business office (Alexandria Campus – AA 189). Your picture will be taken.
Step 6. Get Parking Permit
If you need a parking permit for your car, you will get the information to give to Parking Services (Alexandria Campus - AA 189).