NVCC Spring 1999 Class Schedule
    Cost, Aid, and Benefits

[ NVCC Home Page | Schedule Search | Table of Contents | Previous Page | Next Page ]

    NVCC is a public community college with financial support from the state of Virginia. During 1997-98, state general funds support of the College was 53% of the actual cost of operating the College. The remaining revenue was provided from student tuition and other sources.
    To be eligible for in-state tuition rates, you must be continuously domiciled in Virginia for at least one year immediately preceding the first official day of classes. If you are claiming entitlement to in-state tuition rates, you must complete an Application for In-State Tuition Rates prior to registration and payment of tuition. You must submit this form to your home campus for review. Supporting documents and additional information may be requested. Please refer to the College Catalog or contact the campus Admissions and Records Office for further domicile information.
    The total cost of enrollment at NVCC is based upon a charge per credit hour. The charge consists of tuition and fees as follows:

    (Tuition and Fees Subject to Change)

    Virginia Students Out-of-State Students
  Tuition $46.65 $160.35
  Technology Fee 1.50 1.50
  Student Activities Fee .35 .35
  Per Credit $48.50 $162.20

    Tuition is the same for credit and audit courses.

    Tuition payment is due at the time of registration. If you plan to pay in person, Business Office hours are as follows:

    November 9 - 25; November 30–December 18 Monday - Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM
    January 4 - 15; 18 - 22 Monday - Thursday, 9:00AM-3:00 PM and 5:00-7:30PM
    Friday, 9:00AM-3:00PM

    You may pay by cash, check, money order, VISA, MasterCard, agency contract, or student financial aid (if you have received an official financial aid award letter from the College Financial Aid Office). Cash is accepted only in person at any campus Business Office during regular business hours. All payments, other than cash and approved student financial aid, must be for the exact amount and made payable to NVCC. Checks must include the student's name and student ID number. Third party checks are not accepted. A service charge of $20.00 is charged to you for any payment that is dishonored, except when the bank is at fault. When there is a need for the College to utilize the services of a collection agency for debts owed the College, the debtor is subject to late fees and collection costs. In order to avoid financial responsibility, you must drop a class if you decide not to attend. DO NOT assume you will be dropped automatically.
    Please verify your registration and payment status by using NOVAnet. You may also make separate or additional credit-card payments after registration by using NOVAnet. We urge you to come to campus to obtain an official enrollment receipt. This document sets forth the details of a student’s enrollment and provides information regarding add/drop and tuition refund deadlines. The official enrollment receipt also verifies students’ financial aid status. Those who have received official financial aid award letters will find a notation on the enrollment receipt of "financial aid pending." Students who do not find this notation and who believe it should be present can contact the College Financial Aid Office (703) 323-3199 to correct any mistakes early. Please, obtain your official enrollment receipt. Students who have received their award letters are encouraged to utilize the financial aid kiosks located on each campus to verify their financial aid information.
    Credit cards which are not in your name must be accompanied by written authorization of the card owner (not required for NOVAnet).
    If you have a contract, you must bring all necessary documents (agency authorization, etc.) to your home campus Business Office. By using an agency or employer contract/authorization, you agree to accept responsibility for the full amount of tuition if the agency/employer does not pay within 30 days after invoice. If you are using a contract, it is your responsibility to notify your Business Office at the time of registration.

    Tuition refunds are not automatic, except for courses canceled by the College. If you wish to drop a course, you must either use NOVAnet (please refer to the NOVAnet Telephone Registration Worksheet and the "NOVAnet Helpful Hints" page in this schedule) or complete a Registration Worksheet and submit it to your home campus Admissions and Records Office in person, by mail, or FAX. See campus FAX numbers listed in the front of this schedule. However the Registration Worksheet is submitted, it must be received in the Admissions and Records Office by the end of posted business hours on the last published drop date. If the drop form is received after that date, you will not be eligible for a tuition refund.

The last date that you may drop a course and receive a refund is indicated on your official Student Enrollment Receipt, which may be obtained from the Business Office (ELI refund dates are included in each ELI packet). If the College cancels a course or you drop a full 16-week semester course by January 29, 1999 (or within the first 15% of a shorter term course), you are eligible for a refund and the course will be deleted from your record. No refunds will be made after the specified dates.
    If you paid tuition fees by credit card, refunds due you will be credited to the credit card account only if the card is presented to the Business Office at the time of drop. All other refunds are processed by the Virginia State Treasurer's Office after the published add/drop period and should be received by mail within a few weeks of that date. Refund checks, except those requested by students who presented employer contracts, will be made payable to the student.
    Student financial aid recipients who withdraw from all courses may be eligible for a pro rata refund of tuition as provided by federal regulation. Such refunds are credited to student aid programs from which the student received aid. These policies are available from the College Financial Aid and Business Offices.

    Permits are required for all cars parked in student lots ("B" lots) and may be purchased at campus Police and Public Safety Offices. At the Alexandria and Annandale campuses, permits may be purchased at the Parking Services Offices. The charge for a parking permit is $25.00 per semester. Parking permits are required for all sessions of enrollment, including summer. If your original permit has been lost or stolen, you will be required to purchase another one. Parking permits are required for all sessions of enrollment. Parking regulations are printed in the Parking Brochure that is available in the Police/Parking Offices.
    Parking refunds must be requested from and permits turned in to the campus Police and Public Safety Office (Parking Services Offices at Alexandria and Annandale) within the published add/drop period.
    A full refund will be issued to any student who purchased a semester permit whose class(es) is cancelled or moved to an off-campus location. (ALL classes must have been moved off campus or cancelled.) A refund of $20 will be made in all other cases if the refund is requested within the published add/drop period by returning your permit to the campus police/parking services office.
    Additional information is available from campus Police and Public Safety Offices.

    NVCC has a student financial aid program to assist you with your educational expenses. This program is sponsored by the federal and state governments and the College.
    To apply, contact the Financial Aid Information Service on your home campus or the College Financial Aid Office. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and program placement in a certificate or degree program are necessary to determine eligibility. You must also meet other federal and state eligibility criteria. While most programs require enrollment for at least six semester credits, a limited number of programs are available to students enrolled for fewer than six semester credits.
    The "NVCC Student Financial Aid Services" brochure provides a complete description of the programs and application process for student aid. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Financial aid applications received after the priority filing date--March 1--will continue to be considered during the school year. Applicant materials may be mailed to NVCC, College Financial Aid Office, Forbes Office Center, Annandale, VA 22003-3796.

    If you are applying for or are receiving educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs, you must contact your home campus veterans advisor each semester to complete the necessary forms to establish and maintain your eligibility for benefits. Any changes must also be reported promptly to the veterans advisor. See the College Catalog for further information.

    Beginning January 1, 1998, taxpayers may be eligible to claim a nonrefundable Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit to help them pay for postsecondary education for themselves and/or their dependent children. These tax credits can reduce the amount of federal income tax for returns filed in 1999 or later.

Hope Scholarship Tax Credit. The new tax credit is available to a taxpayer for qualified tuition and related expenses. It is available to parents of dependent students or to students who are not claimed as dependents on their parents’ federal tax return. A student must enroll at least half-time during at least one academic period during the tax year (January 1, 1999 - December 31, 1999). The Hope credit can be claimed only for two tax years and applies only to the first two years of postsecondary education. The tax credit is equal to all of the first $ 1,000 of tuition and fees (less scholarships, grants, and tax-free tuition benefits) and half of the next $1,000 of tuition and fees. The maximum credit is $1,500. A student cannot have a drug felony conviction in a year that the credit applies.
     Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. This credit applies to tuition and fees for undergraduate, graduate, and continuing-education course work taken part-time to improve or upgrade job skills. A family can claim a credit equal to 20 percent of $ 5,000 of educational expenses. The maximum benefit is $1,000 each tax year. Eligible education expenses are reduced by scholarships, grants, and other tax-free tuition benefits.
    (Note: For both programs the credit is phased out for joint filers between $80,000 - $100,000 of income and for single filers between $40,000 and $50,000 of income.)

What You Need to Do:
    1. For each tax year, keep copies of documents related to payment of qualified tuition and fees, such as canceled checks or credit card statements, financial aid awards, scholarships received, and employer-paid tuition benefits.
    2. Obtain relevant IRS forms and documents, such as IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education. Telephone: 1-800-829-3676 for forms and 1-800-829-1040 for information.
    3. Visit the IRS website at www.irs.ustreas.gov/hot/not97-601.html or NVCC’s website at www.nvcc.edu for more information.
    4. Make sure that Admissions and Records has an accurate social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) and address for you and any individual who can claim you as a dependent on the federal tax return.


Please print.

Student Name: ______________________________________________________________________________

Current Student ID (if different from SSN): 800– –_________________________________________________

SSN or ITIN: _______________________________________________________________________________

Address (if changed): _________________________________________________________________________

Street Address, Apartment Number, or P.O. Box Number


City State Zip

Name of Person Claiming You as a Dependent: _____________________________________________________

SSN or ITIN: _________________________________________________________________________________

Address (if different than student): ________________________________________________________________

Street Address, Apartment Number, or P.O. Box Number


City State Zip


    The College must report information that will help you or the person who may claim you as a dependent, determine eligibility for the income tax credits. The College will report this information to IRS and to you or the person claiming you as a dependent. To do this, you need to provide us with the information below for yourself and the person claiming you. Return the following form to the Admissions and Records Office at your home campus.

Last revised:
Comments to: webmaster@nvcc.edu