Home  >  Catalog/Schedule  >  Schedule of Classes > Special Populations

Schedule of classes -

Additional Information for New Students

Special Populations

High School and Home Schooled Students

If you are presently enrolled as a junior or senior in high school or attend school at home, you may be eligible to take credit classes at NOVA. You must apply
for admission to NOVA at least two weeks prior to the start of classes at www.nvcc.edu, place into ENG 111/9 (or higher) on the college placement test, and meet all course prerequisites.

High school students must also submit a Dual Enrollment Recommendation: Individual High School Students form 125-207 (www.nvcc.edu/forms/pdf/125-207.pdf) signed by your parent or guardian, high school counselor, and high school principal (or designated representative).

Home schooled students must submit a Dual Enrollment Recommendation: Home Schooled Students form 125-208 (www.nvcc.edu/forms/pdf/125-208.pdf) signed by your parent or guardian and a copy of a current signed home school agreement between the appropriate school system and the authorizing parent or guardian. Some area high schools offer NOVA classes on-site. Consult with your high school counselor or e-mail dualenrollment@nvcc.edu for more information about dual enrollment classes at local high schools.

Members of the U.S. Military

NOVA offers on-site credit classes for active duty regular and reserve service members and their dependents at Fort Myer Army Post, Fort Belvoir, and the Lifelong
Learning Center at Quantico Marine Base. Class offerings for Spring 2010 are included in this booklet or can be found online at www.nvcc.edu/schedule/crs2102/.

Many of the classes are compressed to meet the demanding schedules of service members. The College is a member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), a group of more than 1,700 colleges and universities providing voluntary postsecondary education to members of the military throughout the world. As a
SOC member, NOVA recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible
academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences.

In addition, NOVA is one of approximately 50 institutions providing Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Associate Degree (SOCAD) programs on more than 500
Army installations worldwide. There is a SOC counselor and a veterans’ advisor at each campus to assist you.

Military Dependents (Spouse and Children)

The dependents of an active duty military person stationed in Virginia, the District of Columbia, or a state contiguous to Virginia, who reside in Virginia, are eligible
for in-state tuition. Complete the In-state Tuition Form for Active Duty Military and Dependents Living in Virginia (form 125-115) and take it, along with the documents specified on the form, to a campus Student Services Center to claim this benefit.

Prospective F-1 Students

NOVA is one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with thousands of students from more than 150 countries enrolled in our programs. The
rich cultural diversity and experiences that international students bring to the College make for a truly unique learning environment. As a non-residential school, NOVA
does not provide student housing. Students share apartments with other students or live with family or friends in nearby communities.

For complete details on how to apply and request an I-20, go to www.nvcc.edu/future-students/enroll-for-classes/international-students/index.html or contact the Office of International Student Services at oiss@nvcc.edu or 703-323-3423.

Senior Citizens

If you are 60 years of age or older and have been legally domiciled in Virginia for one year, you may qualify to attend credit and many non-credit classes at NOVA without paying tuition and fees. You may take a credit course for free if your taxable income did not exceed $15,000 in the previous year. Regardless of income, you also may take a credit course for free if you audit (not receive a grade) or take a non-credit, Continuing Education course. You must complete both an application for admission and the Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition form 105-088.

Please note that you may not register until the first day of classes. However, if you have completed seventy-five percent of your degree requirements, you may enroll at the same time as tuition-paying students.

If you apply for free tuition after you register and pay for a class, you are not eligible for a refund for that class. For detailed information, refer to the NOVA Catalog at www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2009/admin/register.htm or contact any NOVA campus Student Services Center (see Directory of Services, page 5).

The Lifelong Learning Institutes on NOVA’s Annandale and Manassas campuses also offer non-credit classes, seminars, and trips for seniors. For information, call
703-503-0600 (Annandale) or 703-361-6310 (Manassas), or visit NOVA’s Web site at www.nvcc.edu/ catalog/cat2009/admin/register.htm.

Students with Disabilities

If you require any special services or accommodations, you should contact the NOVA Counselors for Students with Disabilities at the campus of your choice at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes. Refer to the College Catalog or visit www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2009/student/disability.htm for additional details on NOVA’s range of services for students with disabilities.

Visiting College Students

Each year, thousands of visiting students from four-year colleges and universities in Virginia and nationwide attend classes at NOVA. They come to Northern Virginia
Community College to take a class that might not be available on their home campuses, accelerate their studies, or make up a difficult class. In most cases, visiting students are not required to take placement tests to begin their NOVA classes.

To qualify for this special provision, however, you need to provide specified documentation showing current enrollment or admission to a four-year college or university. Full information and directions are available at www.nvcc.edu/future-students/enroll-for-classes/visiting-college-students/index.html.

If you plan to attend NOVA as a visiting student, you must first apply for admission online by going to www.nvcc.edu. When completing the application, be sure
to answer “No” to the question “Do you plan to pursue a degree, certificate, or diploma?” and instead select “Currently Pursuing a Degree at Another College.” You
should also record the ID number assigned to you.

For additional assistance, consult your NOVA Catalog or contact the Student Services Center (see Directory of Services, page 5) on the campus you wish to attend.

Washington, D.C. Residents

The District of Columbia provides a variety of grant resources to students who are attending NOVA.

  • The DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG), which is not based on demonstrating financial need, provides a grant of up to $10,000 to help cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.
  • The DC Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (DCLEAP) provides up to $1,500 per year towards college costs for those students who demonstrate
    financial need.
  • The DC Adoption Scholarship (DCAS) provides a grant of up to $10,000 per year to students who were adopted from the DC Child & Family Services Agency on or after October 1, 2001, or who lost a parent as a result of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
  • The DC OneApp allows students to apply for all of the District’s higher education grants - DCTAG, DCLEAP, and DCAS - using one application.

To qualify for the grants, you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be a D.C. resident, live in D.C, and meet other eligibility requirements including proof of residency for one year prior to the start of college, have registered with selective service (males 18 and over), provide proof of U.S. citizenship, not be in default status with federal student loans, and be in good academic standing. For information, call the DCTAG Office at 877-485-6751 or visit the DCTAG Web site at www.seo.dc.gov or NOVA’s Financial Aid Web site at www.nvcc.edu/futurestudents/paying-for-college/financial-assistance/ for application materials.

Substance Abuse Assistance

In accordance with the Drug Free-Schools and Communities Act of 1989, NOVA supports efforts to eliminate drug and alcohol abuse through a series of programs and services designed to prevent use of substances that are illegal and harmful, and to assist individuals who suffer from substance abuse. The illegal possession, use or distribution of controlled substances may result in the College taking disciplinary action as stated in the Student Handbook. If you or someone you know needs help, contact the Counseling Center at any campus for information about referral to community agencies.