NOVA Spring 2008 Class Schedule




NOVA Home Page | Schedule Search | NovaConnect | Catalog | Past Schedules

important dates
priority registration
directory of services
getting started
additional info for new students
enrollment for continuing students
financial aid
off-campus locations
honors classes
hybrid classes
weekend classes
using the schedule
locating course details/notes
easy steps to web registration
locations of course offerings
schedule planning worksheet
ELI --Distance Learning Courses
admission application
campus directory & map

Special Populations

Visiting College Students (Transient Students)

Each year, thousands of visiting students from four-year colleges and universities in Virginia and nationwide attend classes at NOVA. They come to Northern Virginia Community College to take a class that might not be available on their home campuses, accelerate their studies or to make up a difficult class.

In most cases, visiting students are not required to take placement tests to begin their NOVA classes. To qualify for this special provision, however, you need to provide specified documentation showing current enrollment or admission to a four-year college or university. Full information and directions are available at

If you plan to attend NOVA as a visiting student, you must first apply for admission to NOVA by going to When completing the application, be sure to answer “No” to the question “Do you plan to pursue a degree, certificate or diploma?” and instead select “Currently Pursuing a Degree at Another College.” You should also record the ID number assigned to you.

For additional assistance, consult your NOVA Catalog or contact the Student Services Center (see the Directory of Services) on the campus you wish to attend.

Prospective F-1 Students

At NOVA, we greatly value the rich cultural diversity and experiences our international students bring to our campuses. NOVA is one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with thousands of students from more than 150 countries enrolled in our programs.  

As a non-residential college, NOVA does not provide student housing. Our students share apartments with other students or live with family or friends in nearby communities.

For complete details on how to apply and request an I-20, go to or contact the Office of International Student Services at or (703) 323-3423.


Individual High School Students

If you are at least 16 years of age and are presently enrolled in high school, you may be eligible to take credit classes at NOVA. You must apply for admission to NOVA at, place into ENG 111/9 (or higher) on the college placement test and meet all course prerequisites.  You must also submit a Dual Enrollment Recommendation: Individual High School Students form NVCC 125-207 signed by your parent or guardian, high school counselor and high school principal (or designated representative).

Some area high schools offer NOVA classes onsite. Consult with your high school counselor or contact Charlotte Calobrisi at or 703-323-3040 for more information about dual enrollment classes at local high schools.


Home Schooled Students
If you attend school at home and are at least 16 years old, you may be eligible to take courses at NOVA. You must apply for admission to NOVA at place into ENG 111/9 (or higher) on the college placement test and meet all course prerequisites.  You must also submit a Dual Enrollment Recommendation: Home Schooled Students (NVCC 125-208) signed by your parent or guardian.


Members of the U.S. Military

NOVA offers onsite credit classes for active duty regular and reserve service members and their dependents at Fort Myer Army Post, Fort Belvoir, and the Lifelong Learning Center at Quantico Marine Base. Class offerings for Spring 2008 can be found online at Many of the classes are compressed to meet the demanding schedules of service members.

The College is a member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), a group of over 1,700 colleges and universities providing voluntary postsecondary education to members of the military throughout the world. As a SOC member, NOVA recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences.

In addition, NOVA is one of approximately 50 institutions providing Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Associate Degree (SOCAD) programs on over 500 Army installations worldwide. There is a SOC counselor and a veterans’ advisor at each campus to assist you with your education plans.

Military Dependents (Spouse and Children)
The family members of an active duty military member stationed in Virginia, Maryland, or the district of Columbia, who live in Virginia will normally qualify for in-state tuition under the provisions of a recent bill adopted by the Commonwealth of Virginia. To claim this benefit, bring your military dependent ID card, a copy of your sponsor’s orders, and documentation such as a utility or phone bill or assignment of government quarters showing your address in Virginia to a campus Student Services Center.


Senior Citizens

Is learning your lifelong passion? Do you want to pursue a new area of interest or even begin a new career path? If you are 60 years of age or older and have been legally domiciled in Virginia for one year, you may qualify to attend credit and many non-credit classes at NOVA without paying tuition and fees. You may take a credit course for free if your taxable income did not exceed $15,000 in the previous year.  Regardless of income, you also may take a credit course for free if you audit (not receive a grade) or take a non-credit, Continuing Education course. You must complete both an application for admission and the form NVCC 105-088 Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition. For detailed information, refer to the College Catalog at or contact any NOVA campus Student Service Center (see the Directory of Services).

The Lifelong Learning Institutes on NOVA’s Annandale and Manassas campuses also offer non-credit classes, seminars, and trips for seniors. For information, call 703-503-0600 (Annandale) or 703-361-6310 (Manassas), or visit NOVA’s Web site at


Students with Disabilities

If you require any special services or accommodations, you should contact the NOVA Counselors for Students with Disabilities at the campus of your choice at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes. Refer to the College Catalog or visit for additional details on NOVA’s range of services for students with disabilities.


Substance Abuse Assistance

In accordance with the Drug Free-Schools and Communities Act of 1989, NOVA supports efforts to eliminate drug and alcohol abuse through a series of programs and services designed to prevent use of substances that are illegal and harmful, and to assist individuals who suffer from substance abuse.  The illegal possession, use or distribution of controlled substances may result in the College taking disciplinary action as stated in the Student Handbook. If you or someone you know needs help, contact the Student Services Center at any campus for information about referral to community agencies.


Washington, D.C. Residents

The District of Columbia provides a variety of grant resources to students who are attending NOVA.

  • The DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG), which is not based on demonstrating financial need, can open the doors to NOVA by providing a grant of up to $10,000 to help cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.
  • The DC Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (DCLEAP) provides up to $1,500 per year towards college costs for those students who demonstrate financial need.
  • The DC Adoption Scholarship (DCAS) provides a grant of up to $10,000 per year to students who were adopted from the DC Child & Family Services Agency on or after October 1, 2001, or who lost a parent as a result of the September 11th terrorist attacks.
  • The DC OneApp allows students to apply for all of the District’s higher education grants – DCTAG, DCLEAP, and DCAS – using one application.

To qualify for the grants you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be a D.C. resident, live in D.C, and meet other eligibility requirements including proof of residency for 1 year prior to start of college, have registered with selective service (males 18 and over), provide proof of U.S. citizenship, not be in default status with federal student loans, and be in good academic standing. The application deadline is June 30, for the 2006-2007 academic year.

For information, call the DC TAG Office at 877-485-6751 or visit the DC TAG Web site at or NOVA's Financial Aid Web site at for application materials.




Northern Virginia Community College 2005
This page was last updated on October 24, 2007 12:21 PM