NVCC SPRING 2001 Class Schedule

General Information

[ NVCC Home Page | Schedule Search | Table of Contents | Previous Page | Next Page ]

    Advising is available at Counseling Services at each campus, and from faculty advisors. See the Directory of Services page in this schedule for campus locations and telephone numbers or visit the Counseling Services Web site at http://www.nvcc.edu/stuservices/educ.htm.

Alexandria Campus
    Walk-In Advising—The Counseling Office is in the Library and counselors are available on a walk-in basis Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM; Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM.

Annandale Campus
    Advising—Walk-in advising for new students and non-program-placed students is available weekdays during registration. Counseling Center hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM. Call 703-323-3200 for information. Continuing students who have been program-placed should contact the instructional division for advice.

Loudoun Campus
    Walk-In Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday 8:30AM-7:30PM and Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM. It is strongly recommended that new students consult a counselor (Rm. 253) before registering for classes. Continuing students who have been program-placed should contact the instructional division for advice.

Manassas Campus
    Walk-In Advising—Walk-in counseling hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday, from 8:30AM-5:00PM, except for holidays.

Woodbridge Campus
    Walk-in Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday from 8:30AM-5:00PM. Faculty advisors will be available Thursday, January 4, 9:00AM–3:00PM and 5:00–7:30PM.

Extended Learning Institute (ELI)
    Advising for ELI classes is through your home campus. See schedules above.

    See the College Catalog or visit http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2000/instruct/coopedu.htmfor information.

    Courses that have prerequisites are identified in this schedule and in the course listing section of the College Catalog. You may not enroll in a course unless you have successfully completed all prerequisites.

    See the College Catalog or visit http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2000/admin/academic.htm for information on this policy.

    Please refer to the College Catalog or visit http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2000/student/disable.htmfor information. For assistance, contact the Disability Services counselor on your home campus.

    You may inquire about your grades by calling NOVAnet—703-323-3770 or 703-330-3770 (Prince William Co.). If you do not wish to have your grades available through NOVAnet, contact your home campus Admissions and Records Office.

    You must meet with your faculty advisor no later than January 12, 2001 to review your academic record. Failure to contact your advisor in adequate time may result in late notification of outstanding requirements and ineligibility to graduate at the end of the spring semester. You must submit your application for graduation to your home campus Admissions and Records Office no later than January 19, 2001.

    NVCC offers honors courses to highly motivated students who are seeking an intensive learning experience. Through a variety of instructional methods, students are challenged to think broadly and independently about the material covered in a course.
    Honors courses receive a special designation on student transcripts, and students who successfully complete a minimum of 18 hours in selected honors core courses will be awarded the Honors seal upon graduation.
    Honors sections of courses are listed with other courses in the Schedule of Classes. Honors courses may be offered as separate sections of courses or as options for selected students within otherwise traditional courses.
    Students must have special permission to register for honors courses. To obtain permission, please contact the chair of the campus honors committee (see below). You should meet at least one of the following criteria to be admitted: (1) a minimum of 92 on the reading and 94 on the writing sections of the computerized English placement test or 28 on reading and 33 on the writing sections of the paper and pencil English placement test; (2) a GPA of 3.50 or above at NVCC; (3) SAT scores of 1100 or above; (4) graduation in the top 10% of your high school graduating class; or (5) special interest, aptitude, or life experiences that suggest the ability to learn creatively and independently within a course.
    For more information about the honors program, contact the following:

    Alexandria Campus: Dr. Robert Brunner, 703-845-6242.
    Annandale Campus: Mr. Gerald Boyd, 703-323-4441.
    Loudoun Campus: Dr. Robert Depczenski, 703-450-2571
    Manassas Campus: Dr. Jean Goodine, 703-257-6693 or any Manassas Campus counselor.
    Woodbridge Campus: Ms. Alice Reagan, 703-878-5645.

    See page 13 for a listing of honors courses offered.

    Permits are required for all cars parked in student lots ("B" lots) and may be purchased at campus Police and Public Safety Offices at Loudoun and Manassas and the Parking Offices at the Alexandria, Annandale, and Woodbridge Campuses. Valid permits are always required in the faculty/staff lots. The charge for a parking permit is $25.00 per semester. Parking permits are required for all sessions of enrollment, including summer. If your original permit has been lost or stolen, you will be required to purchase another one. Parking regulations are printed in the Parking Brochure that is available in the Police/Parking Offices or on the College Web site at http://www.nvcc.edu/accounting/auxil/parking.htm. Visitors should use meters or the hourly pay lots. Payment is required at meters and in the hourly pay lots 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
    Parking refunds must be requested from and permits turned in to the campus Police and Public Safety Office (Parking Services Offices at Alexandria, Annandale, and Woodbridge) within the published add/drop period.
    A full refund will be issued to any student who purchased a semester permit whose class is cancelled or moved to an off-campus location. (ALL classes must have been moved off campus or cancelled.) A refund of $20 will be made in all other cases if the refund is requested within the published add/drop period by returning your permit to the campus police/parking services office. Additional information is available from campus Police and Public Safety Offices.
    To purchase a parking sticker by mail, return the Parking Registration Form (NVCC 105-66), page 15, no later than December 21, 2001 to the Police or Parking Services Office of the campus you plan to attend.

    The College Safety Report is available on the College Web site at http://www.nvcc.edu/depts/CollegeSafety/. It is also available in printed form at campus Police and Public Safety offices. The report includes statistics concerning crimes that occurred on College property. The report includes institutional policies on campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters.

    First-time NVCC College students are required to take STD 100 or another STD course before enrolling for their 16th semester hour at the College. Students should take the STD course during their first college semester. Through the STD courses, students gain information and skills designed to enhance college success and receive assistance in making educational and career plans.

    For more information about student health insurance, call 1-800-222-5780. Students are able to enroll online by accessing ABCO 100’s Web site at http://www.abco100.com.

    In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989, NVCC supports efforts to eliminate drug and alcohol abuse through a series of programs and services designed to prevent use of substances that are illegal and harmful, and to assist individuals who suffer from substance abuse. The use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol can imperil your health. The illegal possession, use or distribution of controlled substances may result in legal sanctions including imprisonment and fines. Such conduct on campus can also result in the College taking disciplinary action as stated in the Student Handbook. If you or someone you know needs help, contact the Counseling Center at any of the campuses for information about referral to community agencies.

    Northern Virginia Community College encourages all eligible students to register to vote. Voter registration materials can be obtained at each campus Business, Counseling, Admissions and Records Offices, and Learning Resource Center. Information and voter registration forms may also be obtained at the following Web sites: the Virginia State Board of Elections, http://www.sbe.state.va.us/and the Federal Election Commission, http://www.fed.gov/elections.html.

Last revised:
Programming Support