It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia that agencies of the Commonwealth will collect and retain personal information about citizens only to the extent necessary to provide the service or benefit desired; collect only appropriate information; provide the reason the information is collected so that citizens shall understand that reason clearly and enable citizens to examine their personal record, which is maintained by a public body.
The Northern Virginia Community College Website:
- May collect one or more of the following pieces of personal information: your email address, name, social security number, date of birth, phone number or course assignments. Any of this information is collected to meet your specific online requests. If you choose not to provide this personal information, you will be unable to receive some of the services this website offers.
- Collects your IP address, pages browsed, and date and time of your visit. This information is used for internal College statistical purposes only.
- Uses temporary cookies (i.e., files which may contain a variety of information) on some Web pages for screen colors and graphics or to track movement on the site, but will not place them permanently on your hard drive. When you exit the website, the file is automatically removed.
- May link to other websites that may or may not collect data that does not have a relationship to the College through using cookies. You should check for a policy on the linked to Web page.
- Safeguards any information gathered in compliance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and does not supply any gathered information to other individuals or organizations, except in compliance with those laws.
Approved by ITC and Administrative Council 11/07/00
Northern Virginia Community College ensures the integrity of our systems and the data we store is protected. The College has gone beyond industry standards to protect our systems by using firewalls, IDS/ISP devices, NAC protection, requiring authentication (systems, networks and data), requiring encryption of all sensitive data and applying all physical security possible. We perform monitoring of all systems and networks; network modeling and shaping, employ the latest anti-virus / anti-spam protection, and performing audits of all systems and networks. We instill the concept of security and data protection in everything we do including our day to day business practices; new systems, network and building designs; and as a overall part of the colleges desire to keep our environment and data safe and private.
The College complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, Sec. 438, Publ. L. 90–247, as amended, which sets forth requirements governing protection of the right to privacy of educational records, and affords the right to inspect such records. For more specific information, see “Student Records” in the Student and Faculty Handbooks.