L. Burwell Gunn
Immediate Past Chair, Northern Virginia Community College Educational Foundation,
Division Head, Washington and Central Virginia Commercial Banking, Provident Bank
A thirty-three year professional commercial banker, Mr. Gunn is employed with Commerce Bank as Senior Lender for the Washington Metro Region.
Prior to joining Commerce Bank Mr. Gunn was Managing Director and Commercial Division Head for Provident Bank for Metro Washington and Richmond. Prior to Provident, Mr. Gunn founded Cardinal Financial Corporation, a publicly traded community banking entity located in Fairfax, Virginia.
Mr. Gunn spent his first 25 years in various commercial lending capacities with Crestar Bank (now SunTrust). He managed the bank’s leasing operation, founded its international trade finance function, founded its professional and executive lending function and was the Commercial head of the bank’s Greater Washington region from 1986 until late 1997.
He currently is engaged with the following civic and charitable organizations:
- Board of Directors and immediate past president of the Education Foundation of the Northern Virginia Community College
- Board of Directors and Treasurer Of Goodwill Industries of Washington D.C.
- Board of Directors and Treasurer Ronald McDonald House Charities of Washington, D.C.
- Board of Directors and Past Chairman of the Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors the Greater Washington Board of Trade
- Board of Directors - “Spotlight the Arts”, City of Fairfax
- Board of Directors and treasurer of the Downtown Fairfax Coalition.
- Member steering committee of the Northern Virginia Health Care Workforce Alliance
- Advisory Board for Junior League of Northern Virginia
Mr. Gunn was honorably separated from the U.S. Army in February 1972 as a Captain in the United States Infantry. He served in the Republic of Vietnam as a Cobra Helicopter Gunship Commander. He is marriedwith three children and two grand children.