Governor Terry McAuliffe's plans to make Virginia the leader in cybersecurity were well received at the Commonwealth Cyber & Education Conference held at NOVA's Woodbridge Campus in the new Regional Center for Workforce Education and Training (RCWET). During the conference, Governor McAuliffe revealed his proposal to use part of his two-year budget to fund cyber professors and academic chairs and student scholarships. If his budget is approved, Virginia will pay for two years of community college for those focusing on cybersecurity, as long as they promise to give back two years to the state after graduation.
Opening remarks were given by Senator Mark Warner, who was introduced by Karen Jackson, Virginia Secretary of Technology and Co-Chair Commonwealth Cyber Commission and Richard Clarke, CEO Good Harbor Security Risk Management and Co-Chair Commonwealth Cyber Commission. The lunch discussion on “The ‘How and Why’ of becoming a Cyber Center of Excellence” was moderated by Anne Holton, Virginia Secretary of Education.
Panel presentations included:
- Greetings by Scott Ralls, President Northern Virginia Community College
- Governor McAuliffe at Commonwealth Conference on Cyber and Education 2015
- Senator Warner at Commonwealth Conference on Cyber and Education 2015
- “Opportunities and Strategies for Filling the Cyber Talent Pipeline: A Private Sector Perspective”
- “Opportunities and Strategies for Filling the Cyber Talent Pipeline: A Federal Perspective”
- "Opportunities and Strategies for Filling the Cyber Talent Pipeline: Trends and Opportunities"
- "The ‘How and Why’ of Becoming a Cyber Center of Excellence"
Dr. Scott Ralls, NOVA's president, shared how the College's new state-of-the-art facilities like the Regional Center for Workforce Education and Training will serve as a training location for students. In addition, NOVA students will benefit from partnerships formed with state, federal and corporate cybersecurity experts.
Watch a series of informative video segments from the Commonwealth Cyber & Education Conference: