MLA Manuscript Format Using Word 2007
(For a Microsoft Word 2003 tutorial, click here.
Initial Page Setup
1. Click on the "Page Layout" Tab.
2. Then click on the "Margins" drop-down menu in the "Page Setup" section.
3. Choose the first selection from the menu labeled "Normal."
4. Next, move to the "Paragraph" section to the right of the same tab and click on the small arrow in the lower right-hand corner.
5. On the paragraph menu, click on special.
6. Next, move down to the “Line spacing” drop down box and choose “Double.”
7. This can also be done by moving to the "Home" tab, and choosing 2.0 in the line spacing drop-down menu
1. Click on the "Insert" tab.
2. In the "Header & Footer" section, click on "Header."
3. On the pull-down menu, choose the first option, "Blank."
4. Switch to Home.
5. Click under paragraph to align the text to the right.
6. Enter your last name into the box.
7. Change to the "Insert" tab.
8. Under Header & Footer, click on "Insert Page Number."
9. Move to "Current Position" and click on the first selection labeled "Plain Number."
10. Switch to the "Design" tab.
11. Click "Close Header and Footer" to save your changes.
1. At this point, your manuscript should be left-aligned and double-spaced. Now, type your heading as follows:
Class Name and Number
2. Next, move to the next line with the "Enter" key and change the alignment to center.
3. Enter the title of the paper using regular font size. Do not underline, italicize, or bold. On the next line, change the alignment to left.
Your document is now properly formatted.