MLA Manuscript Format Using Word 2003
(For a Microsoft Word 2007 tutorial, click here.
Initial Page Setup
1. Click on “File.” Then, click on “Page Setup.”
2. This will open the “Page Setup” screen.
3. Next, set all margins to one (1) inch.
4. Finally, click “OK” to save your changes.
5. Now, click on the “Format” tab and choose “Paragraph…”
6. This will open the “Paragraph” screen.
7. Navigate to the “Special” drop down box and click on “First line.” This will indent the first line of every paragraph.
8. Next, find the “Line spacing” drop down box and click on “Double” to double space your paragraphs.
9. Finally, save all your changes by clicking on the “OK” button.
Creating a Header
1. Pull down the menu and then click on
2. A format box and menu will appear.
3. Click to align the text to the right.
4. Type your last name into the box.
5. After typing your last name, press the space bar once.
6. Click on to insert page numbers.
7. Click to save your settings.
Heading & Title
1. At this point, your manuscript should be left-aligned and double-spaced. Now, type your heading as follows:
Class Name and Number
2. Next, move to the next line and change the alignment to center.
3. Enter the title of the paper using regular font size. Do not underline, italicize, or bold.
4. Move the cursor to the following line and change the alignment back to left.
Your document is now properly formatted and ready to be typed.