GOALS AND OBJECTIVES FOR DEVELOPMENTAL WRITING
(ENG 1 AND ENG 3)
Students will develop writing and thinking skills necessary for entry into college
1. Students will be able to write a multi-paragraph essay which is focused, well
supported, clearly organized, coherent, and free. of major grammatical and spelling
2. Students will understand the writing process and will be able to use it effectively to
produce thoughtful, revised, carefully proofread papers.
Students will be able to use their improved writing and thinking skills for
educational, job-related, or personal purposes.
1. Students will be aware of their audience when writing and will be able to write for
a variety of purposes to a variety of audiences.
2. Students will be able to employ a variety of organizational structures and strategies
Students will integrate writing, reading, speaking, and listening skills to improve
and clarity of thinking.
1. Students will use reading, speaking, and listening skills to focus their writing on
clear central ideas and to support those ideas in depth and detail.
2. Students will demonstrate critical thinking in both oral and written expression of
Students will exhibit more self-confidence in their writing abilities.
1. Students will be able to identify their individual strengths as writers.
2. Students will understand their own personal writing processes and preferences and be
able to use them effectively.
Students will understand the benefits of working with others to improve writing and
1. Students will be given the opportunity to participate in small group activities to
improve their writing and thinking.
2. Students will be able to offer responses to writing and benefit from the responses of
peers and teachers.
Last Revised: February 1994