Borrow, Renew and Request - Libraries
Your NOVACard is also your library card and is required to check out materials.
Residents of the community may obtain a Community Patron card for limited borrowing privileges. Please contact your local campus library for details.
Loan Periods: The standard loan period is three weeks for books and one week for DVDs. Some items have restricted loan periods. Please see your campus library for more information.
Intercampus Loan: Many library materials can be sent from one campus to another. Click on the Request tab for instructions on how to request an item from another campus.
Interlibrary Loan: Student requests for Interlibrary Loan are at campus discretion. Please contact your campus’s Interlibrary Loan Specialist for more information.
You can renew items before they are overdue as long as they have not been requested by someone else. You can renew items at your local campus library or online by following the instructions below.
1. Open the Library Catalog.
2. Click on Sign In and sign in using your MyNOVA (Blackboard) username and password.
3. Click on My Account.
4. In the Change Library row, select Northern Virginia.
5. In the ‘Activities’ box, look for NVC50. The number of books you have checked out should be listed below in the Loans row.
6. Click on the number.
7. Check the box next to your item and click ‘Renew Selected’.
NOVA Libraries offers Intercampus Loan. Items can be requested by following the instructions below. It usually takes two to four business days for item(s) to arrive at the requested campus.
1. Find the item you want in the Library Catalog.
2. Click on "Request this item"
- If you do not see this option, click on the name of the campus that owns the item you want.
- If item is already checked out, please be aware of the date before placing a request for it.
- Items marked "Reference" or “Reserves” stay in the library and therefore cannot be sent to other campuses.
3. Log in to your account (if you have not already done so):
- Students, Faculty and Staff: Enter your MyNOVA ID and Password
- Community Patrons: Ask library staff for your barcode password. Enter library barcode as ID. Enter password.
4. Be sure to select the campus to which you'd like to have the book sent (see below). You can also include a phone number or email address in the Optional Notification Information field, so the library can contact you when the item arrives.
5. Click go.
It typically takes two to four business days for items to be transferred.
As a NOVA student you have borrowing privileges at GMU’s libraries. To check items out you must have a valid NOVACard and a copy of your registration for the current semester. Check the “NVCC” section of GMU’s Circulation Services page (under ‘Borrowing Privileges’ for more details).
Visit the GMU Library website to search for titles.
Ask a Librarian
Information Desk: 703.845.6456
Circulation Desk: 703.845.6231
Bisdorf Building (AA), Room 232
3001 N. Beauregard St
Alexandria, VA 22311
Information Desk: 703.323.3410
Circulation Desk: 703.323.3128
Godwin Building (CG), 3rd Floor
8333 Little River Turnpike
Annandale, VA 22003
8000 Forbes Place
Springfield, Virginia 22151-2294
Information Desk: 703.450.2661
Circulation Desk: 703.450.2567
Learning Commons (LC), Room 202
1000 Harry Flood Byrd Highway
Sterling, VA 20164
Colgan Hall (MC), Room 129
6901 Sudley Rd
Manassas, VA 20109
6699 Springfield Center Dr, Room 341
Springfield, VA 22150