- Why do I need to take security awareness training?
- Why do I get emails from firstname.lastname@example.org?
- Who must complete MOAT?
- What do I need to take this training?
- What is the URL for the MOAT website?
- Why am I getting a blank white screen when I attempt to login?
- I thought I had completed MOAT but I am still getting notices from Awareity. Why am I getting these messages?
- How do I print my MOAT certificate?
- How do I change my MOAT password?
- am having trouble changing my password. What could be the problem?
- Who should I contact if I have questions about MOAT?
- What will happen if I do not complete MOAT?
Security awareness training is important in ensuring that we are all informed about our security responsibilities. The information provided in security awareness training will benefit you in your personal and professional life as you learn about topics such as malware (viruses, spyware, etc.), spam, phishing and identity theft. The training is required annually by a state mandate.
Northern Virginia Community College contracts with Awareity to provide MOAT (Managed Ongoing Awareness Tools) security awareness training for full-time faculty and staff. Messages generated by the MOAT system may come from or email@example.com. Be sure to check your Junk E-mail folder to determine that the message was not posted there by email spam filters.
Everyone including all faculty, staff, P-14, student hires, temporary employees, volunteers, and vendors working for the College for more than 30 days must complete MOAT within 30 days of their LAN/email account being created and on an annual basis thereafter.
A Windows PC with the Internet Explorer Web Browser version 6 or higher is needed. No other browsers (ex. Firefox, etc.) or other computing environments (ex. Mac, Linux, etc.) are supported at this time.
You may have a pop-up blocker installed that is preventing MOAT from loading correctly. You must allow pop-ups from this site to complete MOAT.
If you are still getting messages from Awareity then you have not completed all portions of the training. On the left-hand side of the MOAT screen see the list of modules. There will be checkmarks next to all of the modules you have completed and circles next to the modules you have not completed. You must answer all of the questions correctly and agree to all of the documents in the Vault to complete the training.
You are not required to provide a copy of your certificate to receive credit for completing the training. If you want to print your certificate at any time after completing the training for your own records, do the following:
- Select the Tools button from the bottom of the MOAT screen.
- Select View and Print My Certificate of Completion.
- Adjust your print settings for the certificate to print in horizontal landscape mode.
You can change your password by clicking Request a New Password on the MOAT login screen. If you use the Request a New Password feature, please be aware that the new password will be emailed to you at your NOVA email address. Then you will need to create your own new password. Passwords must meet the following requirements:
- Must be 8 characters in length.
- Must not be a recently used password.
- Must contain at least three of the following four criteria:
- Lowercase letters (a through z),
- Uppercase letters (A through Z),
- Numbers (0 through 9),
- Special Characters (%7e!@#$%^&*?;:+=_-)
- You may need to create several new passwords before MOAT accepts your new password.
We have found in the past that a cached Web page will sometimes keep responding that the password has already been used. Cached Web pages are pages your Web browser has visited that the browser has kept a local copy of to make future loading faster. The problem is that you are sometimes stuck with old pages when viewing. To clear the cache in IE 7, go to Tools > Internet Options, click on Delete under Browsing History. Close your browser and then type in the URL for the site; now try to change your password again.
- Access Questions: Email NOVA's IT Help Desk
- Technical Questions: Contact Awareity at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not complete your MOAT training:
- 1 day past due (until MOAT is completed): you will receive daily email notices from MOAT of your past due status.
- 30 days past due: access to your NOVA accounts will be suspended until MOAT is completed.
- If your access is suspended for failure to complete MOAT you must complete MOAT from a home or public computer and call the IT Help Desk at 703.426.4141 to inform them that MOAT is complete. The IT Help Desk will inform you of when your access will be reinstated. Your access will not be reinstated immediately.