- What is my email address?
- How do I check my email when on campus?
- How do I check my email from off campus?
- How can a mailing list be created to email students?
- How do I block junk email and spam?
- What are the SMTP/POP settings for Outlook Express, Eudora, etc.?
- What do if my mailbox is over the size limit?
- How do I find help for using NOVA Outlook Webmail 2003?
- What is my VCCS email account?
- How do I create a new email account on my iPad/iPhone?
- Can NOVA faculty and staff who have retired keep their college email account?
- Recreating an Offline Data File in Outlook 2010
- Turn On or Off Cached Exchange Mode
The email is given to you when you are first employed by the college. The address format is generally the lan id, the first letter of your first name and last name followed by @nvcc.edu.
When logged in the network, launch Microsoft Outlook.
To check email off campus, go to:
NOVA no longer creates mailing lists for students. Instructors must create the list themselves. The instructions for creating a list in Outlook are as follows:
- Make sure you are in the main menu screen of Outlook.
- On the File menu, point to New, and then click Distribution List.
- In the Name box, type a name. The distribution list is saved in your Contacts folder by the name you give it.
- From here, click select members if you want to add names from an address book or click Add New if you want to add names manually.
- If you want to add a longer description of the distribution list, click the Notes tab, and then type the text.
- Click Save and Close.
We can suggest using rules in Outlook to block spam. The rule can be used to block emails from certain individuals, and it can be set up to filter out all emails containing adult content.
This can be done by the directions below:
- Go to the Inbox screen.
- On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
- Choose server.
- Click New.
- Select "Move new messages from someone." Follow the directions in the wizard from there.
Also there are some other practical suggestions to follow.
- When you receive spam, delete it.
- Never reply to spam.
- Avoid giving out your primary email address.
- In Outlook, you can create filters to automatically delete messages with certain subject lines.
To learn the settings for setting up your email please click here.
The mailbox size limit is 50Megs. At 2GB, you will get a warning that the mailbox is over the size limit. Emails will either need to be deleted or archived (saved off the server.)
Click on the following link to go to the training: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/en-us/outlook-web-app.aspx
The Virginia Community College System provides all students and faculty/staff in the system with a VCCS email account. This VCCS email account is the students' official email. Faculty have this account so they can help students who may be having problems with their student email.
Click here for iPad/iPhone instructions on setting up a new email account.
As of June 28, 2011, all NOVA retirees may keep their college email account indefinitely provided that they complete the annual security awareness training and adhere to the Acceptable Use Agreement and college email policies. Violations of the Acceptable Use Agreement or college email policies may result in permanent loss of college email privileges. Inclusion on distribution lists is subject to the discretion of the list owner.
The VCCS student email is Google Apps for Education. All of the Google Apps included are available to faculty and staff as well through your VCCS email account.