PRACTICE EXERCISE 1 Name
Spelling Plural Forms of Countable Nouns
Write the correct spellings of the plural forms of the following nouns.
1. mosquito __________ 26. deer __________
2. child 27. zoo ___________
3. crisis 28. leaf ___________
4. piano 29. foot ___________
5. attorney 30. series _________
6. man _______ 31. datum _________
7. fish ______ 32. ox ____________
8. parenthesis ___________ 33. calf ___________
9. mouse _________ 34. handkerchief ___________
10. Negro __________ 35. tray ____________
11. country ___________ 36. hero ____________
12. umbrella __________ 37. couch ____________
13. knife ___________ 38. radio ______________
14. valley ____________ 39. self ______________
15. thesis ___________ 40. stomach _______________
16. gentleman ____________ 41. thief ____________
17. library ____________ 42. criterion ___________
18. analysis _____________ 43. bush ___________
19. woman _____________ 44. phenomenon _______________
20. soprano ___________ 45. means ________________
21. tooth _____________ 46. loaf _______________
22. party ____________ 47. stimulus _____________
23. roof _____________ 48. half _______________
24. boy _____________ 49. epoch ______________
25. radius ___________ 50. wolf _____________
PRACTICE EXERCISE 2 Name
Distinguishing Countable from Non-countable Nouns
In the parentheses indicate with a C or U if the italicized word in the sentence is countable or non-countable.
1. ( ) Religion is an interesting subject.
2. ( ) There are many religions in the world.
3. ( ) Rice is the most important food in the world.
4. ( ) In one kilo of rice there are many grains.
5. ( ) Life is a mystery.
6. ( ) The Lives of the Saints is an interesting work to read.
7. ( ) Milk is good for babies.
8. ( ) A glass of milk is good with a sandwich.
9. ( ) Honesty is important in a good friendship.
10. ( ) Love is more important than money.
11. ( ) The information in this report is not accurate.
12. ( ) Money is sometimes a problem.
13. ( ) A very good friend isn't easy to find.
14. ( ) Sheep are not independent animals.
15. ( ) Wool is very expensive.
16. ( ) Cigarettes are bad for your health.
17. ( ) A leaf of tobacco is quite large.
18. ( ) Tobacco is an important product of many countries.
19. ( ) Chocolate is not good for the teeth.
20. ( ) There are some chocolates in my pocket.
21. ( ) I am a student of English as a second language.
22. ( ) English is an important language in world business and trade.
23. ( ) Meat is very expensive.
24. ( ) Cold meats are good for a picnic.
25. ( ) Freedom is a wonderful thing.
26. ( ) Oil is an important natural resource of the Middle East.
27. ( ) A barrel of oil isn't cheap.
28. ( ) Exercise in the morning is good for you.
29. ( ) There are many exercises in this book.
30. ( ) Water is necessary for life.
PRACTICE EXERCISE 3 Name
The Expletive There
Put some, any, much, many, lots of, a lot of, or no in the blanks. Do not use much in affirmative
1. There isn't _______milk in the refrigerator.
2. There isn't ___________oil in Japan.
3. There is __________money in their bank account.
4. There is __________salt in this soup.
5. There are ____________Japanese students in the class.
6. There isn't ___________________love in her life.
7. There is _________________sugar in my coffee.
8. There are ____________rich people in India.
9. There isn't _______________water on the moon.
10. There is ____________snow in the northern part of Canada .
Now supply an appropriate form of the verb be as well.
11. There _____________________rich people in mainland China.
12. There _________________________oil in Texas.
13. There __________________________pictures in this book.
14. There _________________________people on the moon.
15. There ____________________people at the South Pole.
16. There _________________________South Americans in the class.
17. There ___________________________coal in South America.
18. There ________________________vegetation in the Sahara.
19. There _______________________money in my bank account.
20. There _________________oil in Saudi Arabia.
PRACTICE EXERCISE 4 Name
Date Focus: The Expletive There
Put little, a little, few, a few, or no in the blanks.
1. There are _____________________people in the Sahara.
2. There are __________________vegetables in the refrigerator.
3. There is __________________happiness in a criminal's life.
4. There are __________________apples in the fruit basket.
5. There is __________________ice in the refrigerator.
6. There are __________________sheep on my father's farm.
7. There are ___________________dollars in my wallet.
8. There is _________________money in my bank account.
9. There are ________________boys in my daughter's class.
10. There is ___________________rain in the Sahara.
Now use lots of, a lot of, some, any, much, or many.
11. There is ___________________rain in London.
12. There is _________________________coffee in Brazil.
13. There is ______________________spice in this food.
14. There is _______________________rice in China.
15. There is __________________gold in South Africa.
16. There are ____________________students in that school.
17. There are _____________________sentences in this exercise.
18. There isn't ________________________salt in this soup.
Now put an appropriate form of the verb be as well.
19. There _____________________buildings in New York.
20. There ______________________ice at the North Pole.
21. There _____________________problems in the world.
22. There _____________________orange groves in Florida.
23. There ___________________Chinese students in my class.
24. There _____________________birds in the sky.
25. There ___________________water on the floor.
PRACTICE EXERCISE 5 Name
Yes-No Questions with Expletive There
Fill in the first blank with is or are, and the second blank with some, any, a little, a little bit of, a few, a lot of, lots of, no, much, or many.
1. ______there __________fun in your life?
2. ______there __________people in your family?
3. ______there __________coal in South America?
4. ______there __________irregular verbs in English?
5. ______there __________alcohol in this drink?
6. ______there __________peaches and apples in the stores now?
7. ______there __________water on the moon?
8. ______there __________children in the playground?
9. ______there __________oil in France ?
10. _____there __________flower farms in the Netherlands?
Information Questions with There
Put how much or how many in the first blank and is or are in the second.
1. _____________ounces ______there in a pound?
2. _____________gold ______there in your ring?
3. _____________deer ______there in the park?
4. _____________women ______there in your English class?
5. _____________pounds ______there in a ton?
6. _____________teeth ______there in a horse's mouth?
7. _____________legs ______there on a spider?
8. _____________degrees ______there in a circle/a right angle?
9. _____________nitrogen ______there in water?
10. ____________fish ______there in the fishbowl?