The Verb Be in Statements
Fill in the blanks with appropriate forms of the verb be.
I. I ____________from Africa/ Asia/Europe/Latin America/the Middle East/North America
2. We __________ students of English as a second language .
3. It _____________bad for your health to smoke.
4. They ___________ good friends of my parents.
5. She ___________ a student of the Bible.
6. You __________ a new friend of mine.
7. We ____________at the beginning of this book.
8. I ____________a native speaker of Arabic/Bengali/Chinese/French/German/Greek/Hindi/
Italian/Japanese/ Korean/ Persian/ Portuguese / Russian/ Spanish/ Swahili/ Swedish/Thai/ Vietnamese.
9. I ____________ a happy person.
10. He ___________a member of my class.
11. She ______________ the director of the organization.
12. We ___________in an English class.
13. I ___________an African/a European/a Latin American/a Middle Easterner/a North
American/ an Oriental.
14. He ______________the teacher of my class.
15. You ______________a relative of mine.
16. They _______________a happy couple.
17. Fortunately, I _______________sick.
18. Unfortunately, it ___________a nice day.
19. I ______________in a good mood.
20. She ____________a good tennis player.
PRACTICE EXERCISE 2 Name ___________________
Base Forms versus –s forms
1. (have) Everyone _________the desire to learn English well.
2. (live) Our French teacher _________in the middle of Paris.
3. (occur) Many car accidents ____________on the nation’s highways during the holiday
4. (fall) The leaves __________from the trees in October .
5. (serve) That restaurant ___________excellent food.
6. (love) John _________Mary. My ________parents me.
7. (grow) Apples _________best in a cool climate.
8. (do) We ___________the exercises in this book for homework.
9. (have) People __________strange ideas, sometimes.
10. (like) Mice ________cheese.
11. (live) A mouse __________in our kitchen.
12. (have) Air __________a lot of nitrogen in it.
13. (grow) Good grapes for wine __________in California.
14. ( cost) Good wine _________a lot of money.
15. (provide) Sheep __________ us with wool.
16. (pay) His company __________him a very high salary.
17. (give) Money __________us security.
18. (make) A friend of mine very good cookies.
19. ( subscribe ) My parents _________to the London Times .
20. (taste) Cheese ____________good with wine.
21. (go) My family _____________to the beach often in the summer.
22. (take) The class ____________a break for fifteen minutes every day.
23. (have) Geese ___________very long necks.
24. (wear) Mr. Jackson ___________a shirt and tie to work every day.
25. (revolve) The earth __________around the sun.
PRACTICE EXERCISE 3 Name _______________
Fill in the blanks with do or does.
1. _______ you do your homework at the library or at home?
2. _______ coffee grow in many parts of your native country?
3. _______ your father play tennis? your parents play cards?
4. _______ electricity cost very much in your hometown?
5. _______ your father's cows produce much milk?
6. _______ fresh vegetables have a lot of vitamins?
7. _______ everyone in the room want to learn English well?
8. _______ an ostrich bury its head in the sand?
9. _______ light travel at 186,000 miles a second?
10. ______ you need a passport to travel to China ?
11. ______ a child understand the problems of life?
12. ______ your dog know its name? ______you feed him every day?
Now fill in appropriate base forms in the second blank as well.
13. ______ yellow and blue _______ green?
14. ______ the students _______ all of the new words ?
15. _______your company _____ you a good salary?
16. ______ you _______ to the radio very much?
17. ______ a good English dictionary ______ very much?
18. ______ men/women _______ the problems of women/men?
19. ______ your grandmother _______a nap after lunch?
20. _______ you ______bridge or canasta?
Put do or does in the blanks.
1. How _______you spell your name? How ________your mother spell hers?
2. What _______that word mean? What _______your name mean?
3. How much rent _______you pay for your apartment?
4. What kind of car _______your father drive?
5. About how much time ________you spend on homework every day?
6. Where _______your best friend work?
7. How much ________a good car cost?
8. About how much electricity ________you use every month?
9. How many cars ________General Motors produce every day?
10. What _______the word "beautiful" mean?
Put appropriate base forms in the second blank as well.
11. What kind of work _______your father /mother _______?
12. How much milk ______your cow _______every day?
13. How _______your best friend ________his/her name?
14. What kind of food ________an elephant ________ ?
Now complete the sentences with your own words.
15. Where does your girlfriend/boyfriend _______________________?
16. What color car/house/bike ______________________________?
17. How much money _______________________________ ?
18. Where ________________________________?
19. What kind of food _________________________________?
20. _________________________________ on the weekends?
Frequency Adverbs with the Verb Be
Put in appropriate frequency adverbs and a form of the verb be.
1. A cat ______________________very independent.
2. The weather in the Caribbean __________________nice in the winter.
3. February in Moscow _______________cold.
4. My dentist _____________very busy all day long.
5. Life for the very rich _________________ difficult.
6. It __________________difficult to meet people in a big city.
7. There ________________a lot of people at an airport.
8. Children __________________afraid of the dark.
9. The life of a student __________________wonderful but busy.
10. My parents ________________worried about me.
11. Our teacher ________________late to class.
12. Abdul's appetite _____________good in the mornings.
Put appropriate frequency adverbs and base form or -s form verbs in the blanks.
13. My phone _______________ ________early on Sunday mornings.
14. My parents ______________ ____________to church on Sundays.
15. My secretary is excellent and _________________ ________a mistake.
16. Adults ____________________________more problems than children.
17. Cats _____________________to be alone. A dog ________________ the company of
18. The people at my office _________ ______________nice-looking clothes.
19. Most of the students ____________________________their homework.
20. I _________________________________to school on the bus/ train.
21. My father ________________________________to the radio in the mornings.
22. My parents ______________________________to the beach on their vacations.
23. My phone _____________________________after midnight.
24. Our children ___________________ _________school on Saturdays.