Course Title : INTRODUCTION TO JAVA
The purpose of this course is to provide students with theoretical and practical concepts, basic features of the Java programming language. Topics covered in class include data types, Java functions, Object-oriented class. Students will learn to develop analyzing skill of formulating problem solution steps and to translate the solution into Java programming codes. Students will learn how to write Java selection statements, loops and specially methods and to create Java class. The class will introduce Object-Oriented Programming that includes encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism, and also Graphics programming that covers creating graphical user interfaces and writing applets.
* Students will be awarded 2.0 CEU after class completion
* Attendance requirements : At least 90% of lecture
Course Prerequisite :
Course Methodology :
The course will consist of class lectures, lab assignments and programming projects. We'll use the Java 1.5 running on Windows XP operating systems.
Handouts and Labs prepared by instructor
- Introduction to Java Chapter 4.
- Primitive class Chapter 5.
- Control Statements Chapter 6.
- Methods Chapter 6 & 8
- Arrays & Vectors Chapter 9
- Programming with Objects Chapter 10
- Error Handling Chapter 13
- String Class Chapter 29.
- Formatted Outputs Chapter 28.
- Graphics & Applets Chapter 11.