Site Search:

A browser that supports JavaScript is required to submit the NOVA site search form and to display search results.

Audience Navigation:

Topic Navigation:

Breadcrumb Navigation:

Home > Future Students > FAQ


View the most commonly asked questions by clicking on the specific question below.

Do I have to provide my Social Security number on college forms?

Your Social Security number is not required. NOVA provides all students with a new Student ID through NOVAConnect that is used for registration and as a student identifier. Failure to provide a Social Security number, however, may limit or delay access to services where the number is required by federal or state law (e.g., tax reporting, financial aid).

Back to Top

Are my school records private?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects your records. Under this law,  your parents and you have the right to inspect and review your records and request that a school correct records they believe are misleading. Schools must also receive written permission from your parent or you in order to release your record information under most conditions. Learn more.

Back to Top

How can I get a copy of the College Catalog?

College Catalogs are available through all NOVA Student Services Centers, the Call Center by calling 703.323.3000, or online.

Back to Top

How do I view the application form?

The application form is available online on the top right of the NOVA home page. Click on Apply Now.

Back to Top

Is it possible to register online for classes?

Yes, you can register for classes with NOVAConnect.

Back to Top

How can I find out if a class is full?

Log in to NOVAConnect and complete a class search. The number of seats available will be included in the information.

Back to Top

Can I get my grades online?

Yes! You can view your grades through NOVAConnect. There is an online tutorial to help you with the steps.

Back to Top

How can I get a copy of my transcripts?

Request a free copy of your transcripts:

  • Through NOVAConnect, select Self-Service, then select Official Transcript and follow the directions.
  • If you have not enrolled since 2003 or you no longer have access to your NOVAConnect account, then you must fax a signed request to the College Records Office. The request form can be downloaded from, Request for Official Transcript. The process takes seven to 10 business days -- you can check the status of your request after three days by contacting your Student Services Center. 
  • Fax your form to: 
    • Alexandria: 703.845.6046
    • Annandale: 703.813.6022
    • Loudoun: 703.404.7304
    • Manassas: 703.257.6565
    • Medical: 703.822.6624
    • Woodbridge: 703.878.5692

Student Services Centers:

  • Alexandria Campus -- 703.845.6333
  • Annandale Campus -- 703.323.3400
  • Loudoun Campus -- 703.450.2501
  • Manassas Campus -- 703.257.6620
  • Medical Campus -- 703.822.6531
  • Woodbridge Campus -- 703.878.5760

Back to Top

Can I pay for my tuition through a Payment Plan?

Yes. NOVA’s Tuition Payment Plan allows students to pay their tuition in monthly, interest-free installments for a small non-refundable enrollment fee. Visit the Payment Methods & Deadline website for details.

Back to Top

Can I check out NOVA library books online?

Yes. You can search for and reserve library books, eBooks, DVDs and more online through NOVA’s Libraries website.

Back to Top

How do I find out about orientation?

The New Student Orientation section of the NOVA website provides details on registration for sessions, campus locations and contact numbers.

Back to Top

Does NOVA have any clubs or sports?

Yes. You will find links to a variety of fun activities, clubs, sports teams and intramural sports programs available at NOVA through NOVA’s Student Life website.

Back to Top

Can I buy my books online?

You can conveniently purchase textbooks, apparel and more online through each of the six NOVA campus bookstores.

Back to Top

How do I get my NOVACard?

Go to any NOVACard Office on any of NOVA’s six campuses to get a NOVACard. Students will need to provide proof of enrollment, current schedule of classes or a receipt and a government issued photo ID. Your NOVACard is your official Northern Virginia Community College Identification Card.

Back to Top

How do I get my parking permit?

All students (full- and part-time) must display a permit on vehicles parked on campus unless they use pay parking. Permits are required during every semester, including the summer, and are valid for one semester only. You can purchase your parking permit online.

Back to Top

Will NOVA give me an email account?

As a registered NOVA student, NOVA will provide you  with an email account through the Virginia Community College System. You will also be set up with a location to publish your personal Web pages. You can access the Web on campus, in most computer labs and in each campus library.

Back to Top

Where can I find more information about the College?

Student Services and the Student Handbook are two excellent information resources.

Back to Top

Still have questions? Contact us.