Students in the IEP
Students in the Intensive English Program come from more than 130 countries. They have diverse backgrounds and many academic goals. The following descriptions give a general idea of typical students enrolled in the IEP.
Most students ...
- have F-1 visas and enroll full time in the program;
- have studied English for many years before entering the program;
- read and write well in their first languages;
- have academic goals in the U.S.; and
- have traveled outside of their home countries before coming to NOVA.
Most of our students are high school graduates seeking an associate’s degree from NOVA. They generally ...
- range in age from their late teens to early twenties;
- have some work experience in their home countries; and
- plan to transfer to a four-year university after completing their studies at NOVA.
Some of our students are college and university students or graduates. They ...
- are generally in their twenties or thirties;
- often have extensive work experience in their home countries;
- may plan to transfer to a four-year college or university after completing their studies at NOVA;
- may plan to enter graduate programs at a U.S. university after improving their English and their TOEFL scores; or
- may plan to return to their home countries and jobs after achieving their desired level of English proficiency.