NOVA welcomes lifelong learners! Earn a degree or learn something new.
You may qualify to attend credit and many non-credit classes at NOVA without paying tuition.
- Sixty years of age or older.
- Domiciled in Virginia for a minimum of one-year prior to the beginning of classes for the semester/term.
- Apply online to the College.
- Register online for any open course during the scheduled time.
- Submit the tuition waiver form immediately after registering.
- For verification purposes the college reserves the right to ask for proof of income and/or photo identification (ID).
- You may enroll in up to three courses per term for academic credit, if your taxable income does not exceed $15,000.
- Regardless of income, you may audit up to three credit courses per term for free using the tuition waiver.
- If you have completed 75 percent of your degree requirements, you may enroll at the same time as tuition-paying students.
- You may take a non-credit Workforce Development course for free if space is available.
- To enroll in non-credit courses, contact the Workforce Development Department at the campus where the course is being offered.
The Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver will not be applied if the:
- Class is closed.
- Waiver form is not completed and submitted at the same time you register.
- Waiver form is not received before 11:59 p.m. on the day before the session begins to meet the On-Time Registration requirement.
- You must pay course expenses other than tuition, such as music, art, and laboratory fees. Check your student account balance in myNOVA. Fees must be paid by 5 p.m. the next business day after registration.
- You may not make changes to your registration after the registration deadline. However, you can register for a later-starting course.
Disclaimer: The Virginia Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974 and amendments allow senior citizens to take classes at no charge under certain circumstances. "Senior Citizens Higher Education Act" is set forth in Chapter 4.5 (§23-38.54 et seq.) of Title 23 of the Code of Virginia.