Site Search:

A browser that supports JavaScript is required to submit the NOVA site search form and to display search results.

Audience Navigation:

Topic Navigation:

Breadcrumb Navigation:

Home > Future Students > Admissions > High School/Home School Students > Dual Enrollment FAQs

Dual Enrollment FAQ

On this page you will find answers to the most frequently asked Dual Enrollment questions.

Q: Who can participate? 
A: Students must be high school juniors or seniors or the homeschooled equivalent. You must have the support of your parents, principal and high school counselor who verify that you are ready for college-level work. You must also obtain a qualifying score on the college English placement test or have a score of 550 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT.

There are two types of dual enrollment students: 

  • DUAL CREDIT STUDENTS are high school students enrolled in college credit classes who receive both college credit and credit toward their high school graduation requirements. Classes may be taken on a college campus or at their high school if the course is offered there.
  • CONCURRENTLY ENROLLED STUDENTS are high school or home schooled students enrolled in college credit classes. However, these students only receive college credit for the classes and must take the classes on a NOVA campus.

Back to Top

Q: Which classes can students take?
A: NOVA offers a variety of courses. Popular courses include English composition, biology, U.S. government, pre-calculus and chemistry. Many students take courses not offered at their school like advanced math, science or a foreign language. If you are interested in a career skill, you can choose courses in fields such as automotive technology, culinary arts, information technology or allied health. Dual enrolled students must take credit bearing courses, not ESL classes, developmental math or English classes, or physical education classes.

Back to Top

Q: What if I have an IEP at my high school? 
A: High school juniors and seniors with special needs or disabilities may participate if they earn qualifying scores on the placement tests, and are able to participate and achieve in class without modification of course work. For more information regarding students with disabilities visit the Disability Services website.

Back to Top

Q: Is financial aid available for dual enrollment students?
A: No. College-based financial aid is not available for high school students.

Back to Top

Q: Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
A: As with other courses taken at NOVA, many credits earned through dual enrollment typically transfer to four-year colleges and universities. However, some courses are not designed to transfer. Colleges and universities have specific policies regarding acceptance of transfer credits. You should contact the college or university you are considering to discuss the transferability of dual enrollment courses, or talk to a counselor at NOVA for more information.

Back to Top

Q: Do you know about Virginia's Guarantee Transfer Program?
A: NOVA graduates who earn an associate of science or associate of arts degree, and who meet criteria specified by each senior institution, are guaranteed admission to more than 40 area colleges and universities including schools like George Mason University, Virginia Tech and the College of William and Mary! 

Read more information about the requirements of the colleges that interest you.

Back to Top