Tool Kit Hints
Full-time Classified Non-exempt Employees can use the following Leave types, if they have accrued balances available!
- Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) participants:
- VSDP - Family/Personal– to be used in the event of sickness or death of a family member, or any other personal reason.
- VSDP - Personal Sick – to be used for employee sickness only.
- Traditional Sick Leave participants
- Traditional Sick - Family – to be used in the event of sickness or death of a family member. (Limited to 48 hours in one leave year, see DHRM Policy 4.55, Sick Leave)
- Traditional Sick - Personal – to be used for employee sickness only.
- Annual - Classified Staff– to be used for vacation or any other reason.
Other types of Leaves available to the Classified Non-exempt Employee:
- Bonus Leave – only if a balance is awarded by the Governor, VCCS, College President or Office of Human Resources.
- Compensatory Leave – only if balance earned by employee for compensatory leave earned (President’s approval required).
- Leave Without Pay – to be used when the employee has no available leave balances or when the employee voluntarily chooses not to receive pay during an approved absence from work.
- Employee Recognition Leave – only if a balance is awarded by the Governor, VCCS, College President, or the Office of Human Resources.
- School Assist/ Volunteer Service – to be used for supervisor-approved absences as related to DHRM Policy 4.40, School Assistance and Volunteer Service Leave.
For the Department of Human Resources Office Use Only
- Educational Leave – only as approved by policy and NOVA approval process, an educational leave of absence from the college (not to be used to take time off to attend individual outside courses or Professional Development courses).
- Civil & Work Related Leave - to be used for supervisor-approved absences as related to DHRM Policy 4.05, Civil and Work-Related Leave.
- Emergency/Disaster Leave - to be used for supervisor-approved absences as related to DHRM Policy 4.17, Emergency Disaster Leave.
- Bone Marrow/Organ Don Leave- to be used for supervisor-approved absences as related to DHRM Policy 4.37, Leave to Donate Bone Marrow or Organs.
- Military Leave – to be used for approved U.S. military activities as related to DHRM Policy 4.50.
- Disability Credits Used – previously earned credits to be used as part of VSDP compensation. Policy established by DHRM Policy 4.57, Virginia Sickness and Disability Program.
- Leaving Sharing – to be used upon approval from the Office of Human Resources and eligibility standards as provided by DHRM Policy 4.35, Leave Sharing.