Request Leave for Absence from Work
This benefit is not available to Wage/Hourly and Work-Study Employees.
- Click the Self Service link.
- Click the Time Reporting link.
- Click the Report Time link.
- Click the Absence Request link.
- Enter the leave start date into the Start Date field.
You can either manually enter this date or click on the calendar icon in the start date field and select a date from the calendar.
- Select the appropriate Filter by Type with the drop down arrow and then click on the appropriate dropdown arrow in the Absence Name field..
Note: All leave types will be visible. Be sure to select the correct leave type. You still have to provide the Department of Human Resources with relevant documentation for certain leave types.
For example: Family Medical Leave, or Educational leave to name a few.
If you are not sure what Filter Type to choose, go to the View Absences Balances page to see which leave types are available to you.
- Click on the drop down arrow in the Absence Name field and select the Annual - Classified Leave option in order to use a day of annual leave.
- Note: The balance shown is as of the last processed date. The current balances do not reflect unprocessed requests within the same leave period. The balance reflects the last time absence management was processed. The processing of absence management will coincide with pay periods. Your balance should not be off by more than one semi-monthly payroll cycle.
You can only use leave categories which display a balance above zero. If you select and use a leave category that does not show a balance, the HRMS system will place you in a leave without pay status (LWOP), which may affect your paycheck.
If you think your balance is incorrect, contact Employee Services.
- Click on the drop down arrow in the Partial Days field.
Select None– if you want to use an entire day of leave, or multiple consecutive whole days of leave.
Select Start Day Only – if you want to take only a few hours off from work (less than a whole day).
Note: Do not ever use the options All Days, End Day Only, or Start and End Day. Also, do not ever combine a half day of leave with a whole day of leave and enter in HRMS under one date; this combination of leave requires a separate leave request for the whole day and a separate request for the half day.
- If you selected Start Day Only because you are taking leave for only a few hours (less than a whole day), then you will be required to enter the number of hours in the Start Day Hours field.
Note: If you are using leave for whole days, the Start Day Hours field will not pop up on the screen, and you can skip step 10.
- Enter the number of hours that you are requesting off from work into the Duration field.
If you are scheduled to work ten (10) hours per day, you must use ten (10) hours of leave, or if you are scheduled to work nine (9) hours per day, you must use nine (9) hours of leave.
Also, if you take off an entire week of forty (40) hours, select None in the Partial Days field and enter 40 in the Duration field.
- Click the Calculate End Date button.
- The End Date is calculated automatically by PeopleSoft based on Duration.
Check Your Dates: If you have entered leave on a date that is set in HRMS as a holiday, the system will not count your leave on that holiday. If you enter leave on a weekend or non-working day, HRMS will calculate the next working day.
Be sure to double-check the End Date and ensure it is accurate. If not, you may need to change your Start Date or Duration.
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Note: The FMLA checkbox only appears with certain leave types. Click the Is This FMLA Related checkbox ONLY if FMLA has been approved by Human Resources, and you are entering leave to be used to pay yourself during your approved FMLA leave. Otherwise, do no check this box.
- Enter any appropriate information into the Requestor Comments field. Enter a valid value.
For example: Requesting vacation day, going to LA, or daughter's graduation, etc.
It is important to provide the appropriate reason by entering a comment. This way the Manager approving your request will have the necessary information to make a decision.
- The Save for Later button can be used if you are not ready to submit leave to your manager for approval but want to store the request in your history.
- If you are ready to submit your leave request to your manager, click the Submit button.
- Click the OK button.
This will generate an email to your manager to approve, deny, or rework the leave.
NEW in HRMS 9.0. For Classified Non-exempt employees who complete timesheets. If the manager has denied or returned the leave request to the employee for re-work, the manager will enter a comment on the leave request explaining their action and will also remind the employee to go to their Absence Request History and CANCEL the denied or reworked request. The cancellation action removes the denied and/or reworked transaction from the timesheet. This action is necessary to correctly compute the employee’s timesheet. Then, the employee can submit a new/correct absence request in Absence Management for action by the supervisor.